Man I feel really stupid

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by dbirdsong, Jul 1, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I set both of my D70's to manual focusing on Wednesday night for the fireworks I shot. Thursday night I shoot a event for the Motor City Mechanic's Hockey team and about half way though the night I realized that I hadn't switched back to the AF mode. :shock:
    Now you might ask, couldn't you tell looking though the viewfinder? Not with my eyes I can't.
    They were close but not sharp.
    Oh well, I discovered it early enough to re-shoot some of the stuff I needed.
    So if you going to be photographing some fireworks this weekend remember to reset you camera to you normal settings. :D 

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the heads-up Dave. I am sure that most everyone has made similar errors...just part of the territory. Thankfully, you caught it and made the necessary change.

3. I have done this too many times already.

Kind of like if you are pilot you always have a pre-flight check.

I am going to print out and laminate a little card that sits right on top of the camera in the camera bag it goes something like this:

Pre-Photo check.

1 Iso-Check
    2 WB-Check
    3 AF Mode-Check
    4 VR Mode-Check
    5 JPG-NEF-Check
    6 Saturation/Color Mode-Check
    7 Flash Settings-Check
    8 Battery Power-Check
    9 Correct Lense-Check
    10 Meter Mode-Check

Roger That - "You are clear to take Photos" 8)

4. KJD2121

KJD2121 Guest

Wow, So when the lens didn't make a focusing sound it didn't clue you in? That sucks.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I have adopted a workflow that keeps that stuff to a minimum. I make sure that I have reset everything to my default settings before the camera goes back in the bag. That way, I know what the camera settings are when I take it out next time. Depending on what I am trying to shoot, I know I am always starting out from the same point and usually have any modifications in my mind before I pick up the camera. So far, if I can keep to my own procedures, it is working very well.

6. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi dave-

having done that before, that's good advice. i was using a wide angle lens (can't remember if it was a 20mm or 17-35mm), and similarly the viewfinder images looked in focus. i didn't notice the lack of focusing movement since the lens was a wide and i wasn't moving, and neither was the subject.

live and learn.

ricky

7. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    He must have had AF-S lens. And they said AF-S was an advantage... :) 

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.