Man I feel really stupid

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by dbirdsong, Jul 1, 2005.

1. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

I set both of my D70's to manual focusing on Wednesday night for the fireworks I shot. Thursday night I shoot a event for the Motor City Mechanic's Hockey team and about half way though the night I realized that I hadn't switched back to the AF mode. :shock:
    Now you might ask, couldn't you tell looking though the viewfinder? Not with my eyes I can't.
    They were close but not sharp.
    Oh well, I discovered it early enough to re-shoot some of the stuff I needed.
    So if you going to be photographing some fireworks this weekend remember to reset you camera to you normal settings. :D

2. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Thanks for the heads-up Dave. I am sure that most everyone has made similar errors...just part of the territory. Thankfully, you caught it and made the necessary change.

3. I have done this too many times already.

Kind of like if you are pilot you always have a pre-flight check.

I am going to print out and laminate a little card that sits right on top of the camera in the camera bag it goes something like this:

Pre-Photo check.

1 Iso-Check
    2 WB-Check
    3 AF Mode-Check
    4 VR Mode-Check
    5 JPG-NEF-Check
    6 Saturation/Color Mode-Check
    7 Flash Settings-Check
    8 Battery Power-Check
    9 Correct Lense-Check
    10 Meter Mode-Check

Roger That - "You are clear to take Photos" 8)

4. KJD2121

KJD2121 Guest

Wow, So when the lens didn't make a focusing sound it didn't clue you in? That sucks.

5. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I have adopted a workflow that keeps that stuff to a minimum. I make sure that I have reset everything to my default settings before the camera goes back in the bag. That way, I know what the camera settings are when I take it out next time. Depending on what I am trying to shoot, I know I am always starting out from the same point and usually have any modifications in my mind before I pick up the camera. So far, if I can keep to my own procedures, it is working very well.

6. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi dave-

having done that before, that's good advice. i was using a wide angle lens (can't remember if it was a 20mm or 17-35mm), and similarly the viewfinder images looked in focus. i didn't notice the lack of focusing movement since the lens was a wide and i wasn't moving, and neither was the subject.

live and learn.

ricky

7. ckdamascus

ckdamascus

May 14, 2005
    New Jersey
    He must have had AF-S lens. And they said AF-S was an advantage... :)