1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Managing RAW files-IPTC/XMP

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by TomD., Jun 29, 2008.

1. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    My current workflow is to download images via CS3 Bridge.
    I go into Breezebrowser and rename and add copyright as well as keywords in IPTC/XMP fields. I take my files from my key shoots,
    add to both PC Hardrive and external hard drive. Then have multiple folder and subfolder structure based upon subject and location.
    OK, now the question. Is there software that I could enter a key word such as "horse" which would search IPTC/XMP fields on the folders I list and bring me back a list of all of the images that I get a hit on?
    Thanks,
    Tom

2. Yeah, Tom - take a look at Mediapro/Expressions Media (used to be made by iView, now a Microsoft product), Extensis Portfolio - those are some traditional ones. I'm guessing that Aperture and Lightroom have this ability also, but not certain.

Sean

3. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    Thanks for the suggestions. I will take a further look at them. I downloaded lightroom yesterday and was not too impressed for what I want to do.
    Tom

4. I think they're still offering free upgrades from iView's Mediapro 3 to the Microsoft Expressions Media product, which is a good deal as the Mediapro version goes for $30 or so on Ebay, and you need the Microsoft version for working with the newer NEFs from the D300/D3 bodies:

"If you own iView MediaPro 3 it is still possible to receive
    a free upgrade to Microsoft Expression Media, if you have not yet claimed your software license. The upgrade period has been extended, but please act soon.

Register your MediaPro 3 license number here and you will be sent your upgrade invitation within 24 hours.

If you require any assistance please contact us."

5. TomD.

TomD.

Jun 7, 2007
    Dallas, Texas
    I have spent several hours playing with Microsoft Expressions Media 2 download.
    Very impressed. Same price as Lightroom with the strength being the DAM.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.