Mandarin Duck

Seeing a Mandarin Duck through my viewfinder was a first for me but there it was in all its beauty. I’d been hearing of sightings of a Mandarin Duck by other photographers in the area, so I was on the lookout hoping to at least spot it. But luck came my way on this Tuesday morning when a second glance over at a half-submerged log had me starring straight at a Mandarin Duck.

A quick spin of the zoom lens out to 600mm and a careful look had me convinced I was staring at a Mandarin Duck.

The light was harsh, and the background was far from ideal, but I couldn’t let this opportunity pass, so shoot I did hoping I’d get at least a few shots before it took off.

DSC02184 72wf.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

DSC02229 72wf.jpg

DSC02368 72wf.jpg

DSC02126 72wf.jpg

Louie

Nice, an escapee no doubt. We have one here as well (Burnaby Lake), it has a wood duck mate but they can't conceive.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Luck goes to the prepared! You were out there.....and got rewarded. Tough lighting but you handled it well. Was the last one shot later in the day?

Nice, an escapee no doubt. We have one here as well (Burnaby Lake), it has a wood duck mate but they can't conceive.
Thanks West. That is the prevailing thought around here is that it escaped from someone's private pond, in any event it has provided a fair share of excitement for those that have spotted it.
They are truly beautiful birds. Congrats on both the sighting and the captures.
Thanks Dan.

Great opportunity. Beautiful duck. I don't think the bg is bad at all. It just shows the environment.
Thanks Allan, it tuff to get the backgrounds you'd like most of the times.
Luck goes to the prepared! You were out there.....and got rewarded. Tough lighting but you handled it well. Was the last one shot later in the day?
Thanks Karen, tough lighting on some of them for sure. And yes to your question.

Great shots Louie. Not so much luck as putting yourself in the position to get the shot?
Thanks Bill, it was a surprise to have found this beautiful duck that's for sure.
Gorgeous bird!!!! What good fortune that you spotted him and had the right gear and the skills to capture him so nicely!
Thanks very much Connie.

Seeing a Mandarin Duck through my viewfinder was a first for me but there it was in all its beauty. I’d been hearing of sightings of a Mandarin Duck by other photographers in the area, so I was on the lookout hoping to at least spot it. But luck came my way on this Tuesday morning when a second glance over at a half-submerged log had me starring straight at a Mandarin Duck.

A quick spin of the zoom lens out to 600mm and a careful look had me convinced I was staring at a Mandarin Duck.

The light was harsh, and the background was far from ideal, but I couldn’t let this opportunity pass, so shoot I did hoping I’d get at least a few shots before it took off.

View attachment 1688189

View attachment 1688190

View attachment 1688191

View attachment 1688192

Louie
Nice set Louis, real beauties, would love to see one in the wild.

Beautiful They're right up there with Wood Duck and Harlequin for spectacular plumage.
Thanks very much, I'm with you on their being right up there with Wood ducks.
Beautiful images. These Mandarin and Wood Ducks are my favorite in their beauty.
Thanks Walter, I agree.
Nice set Louis, real beauties, would love to see one in the wild.
Thanks John, they are quite something alright.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom