Manfrotto 055XPROB Modification

Hi all,
I really like my Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod except for one thing and that's the center piece pole that can be raised up and down. The legs are absolutely rock solid but there's always been movement in that center column so it was time for some modifications and removal of that column which was something that I have never used and turned a brass locking knob up.
There's now zero movement at that critical place where you don't want any movement in a tripod and with the rock steady legs I'm pretty happy with this couple of hours of machining and fiddling having the tripod head in pieces and getting it back together.
Stock Standard 055XPROB -

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Center Column removed which necessitated a complete tear down of the tripod -

Machined up a new head out of two pieces of aluminium bar stock with the smaller section socketed into the larger 3" section and then a 3/8" bolt put through the center for the head -

Underneath showing the new inserted and now no center column -

New head in place -

Nice modification, well done... I have the same tripod, but mine doesn't have any play in that area.
But if I ever do get a bit of slop in that area, I think I'll do this mod... Thanks for sharing...

I admire people who have the skills, equipment and inclination to successfully take on such a project.

I have a different Manfrotto tripod and the center column doesn't budge. I noticed that my tripod has a large wingnut that tightens the center column and that yours only has a brass knob that surely can't be tightened as much. Then I looked up the official photo of your tripod (now discontinued) and see that it has a wingnut just like mine, not the brass knob. Perhaps they redesigned that detail to improve the tripod after you bought yours.

I admire people who have the skills, equipment and inclination to successfully take on such a project.

I have a different Manfrotto tripod and the center column doesn't budge. I noticed that my tripod has a large wingnut that tightens the center column and that yours only has a brass knob that surely can't be tightened as much. Then I looked up the official photo of your tripod (now discontinued) and see that it has a wingnut just like mine, not the brass knob. Perhaps they redesigned that detail to improve the tripod after you bought yours.
it was time for some modifications and removal of that column which was something that I have never used and turned a brass locking knob up.
I think he fabricated it Mike.

Nice work. I have an older version of the 055 and my only complaint is that the centre column is occasionally in the road when I want to set the tripod up quite low down. This may be something to consider.

Real Name
Tim Grist
I'm impressed with your modification. I've got a couple of 055 xprob's and the only time I use the centre column is when I want to get as low as possible and I'll mount the column horizontally with a ball head. That way I can get as low as I want. It's a bit of a fiddle but it works for me in most situations.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom