Manfrotto Art 055 and 150-600 zooms

Simple question - can my old 055 handle the size and weight of a Sigma or Tamron 150-600mm zoom? I am considering investing in one of these lenses. Thoughts?

I've used my 150-600 Sport on my Bogen 3021 which looks similar to the 055. A lot depends on the head and connection, I started using Bogen's hex plate QR system but switched to the Arca style dovetail years ago and gained a lot more stability. Long lens technique will have a lot to do with how good your final results are. It doesn't cost you anything to try the rig you have.

Real Name
Randy
It's not a question of if
Imo the sport version is unusable on a tripod or monopod
Again imo sigma blew the physical design. A metal hood on the end of a metal barell creates a serious balance issue when zooming.
I couldn't hold it either so I sold it
The 200-500 is perfect, less barell, plastic hood, nicely balanced in your hands

I think I will take a serious look at the Nikon 200-500 VR. I've read it's reasonably hand-hold-able and I don't need to go beyond 500mm - this will be on a cropped body (D300), this is the only current model I have that is compatible with the electromagnetic diaphragm where I can stop the lens down if need be. Of course, this would be used frequently on the Art 055 as well.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom