1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Manhattan Panorama @ 270mm (3MB file)

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by RFCGRAPHICS, Jun 24, 2007.

1. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Here is a simple 9 frame panorama taken of Manhattan from my condo balcony. I used a D200, nikkor 70-200VR, TC14EIII, and a simple ballhead/tripod combination. Frames were stiched with PTgui and then post processed in CS3.

Megapixels do matter if your a resolution junkie :) 

Life In The Big City - (Click for larger image)
    original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Nikkor 70-200 - 9image @ 270mm 1/250sec, f/8 iso 100, Raw

Regards

RFC

2. Very nice!

3. What a great image, Robert! The only way to enjoy this is at full size. Love the details. Had to look carefully to find the Chrysler Building hiding there. It's amazing how many of the riverside apartment buildings have water towers - a phenomenon not known here.

4. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    That is one magnificent panorama Robert !

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    fANTASTIC.

wOW PRINTED VERY LARGE i CAN JUST IMAAGINE HOW GREAT THIS IS.
    cOVER A WHOLE WALL

6. Another stunning pano!

7. sonuj2

sonuj2

May 11, 2006
    Naperville, IL
    Fantastic Robert!!! You are the 'Pano King'!!!

8. man that is awesome! wonderful to look at!

9. Awesome, great pano!

10. Magnificent Robert. I don't need to come back to NYC since every time I see one of your photos, I'm back there.

Great stuff as always !

Ronnie

11. That is an amazing image. Thanks so much for sharing it!:smile:

12. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Alexf, Baseballer, TOLady, Julien, Gale, Nuccifamily, Sonuj2, Fred G, Daniel D, Ronnies, TeeSquare,

Thanks everyone for the kind compliments. Sandy brought up an interesting note...the water towers. The water pressure in NYC is not strong enough for all the high rises so water towers are actually the norm. In the newer buildings they are hidden behind a facade.

"These water towers are needed because of the city's weak gravity-driven water supply. Water to New York City is provided through a 19th-Century system of aqueducts fed by various reservoirs. This system relies almost exclusively on gravity to deliver water. Since it doesn't use many moving parts, this design has aged extremely well, but the designers didn't envision there would be many tall buildings in New York. Unfortunately, any building over six stories needs a water tower to ensure adequate water pressure to every floor. By placing the water supply for the building on the roof, buildings are able to use gravity to increase their water pressure."

Thanks again everyone

Regards

RFC

13. Thanks for that info on the water towers. Being in the real estate biz, I love learning how systems in other cities work.

14. Firelarz

Firelarz

Feb 26, 2006
    Chandler, AZ
    Robert, an amazing image! Well done.

15. Mainuh

Mainuh

Feb 20, 2007
    Southern Maine
    Awesome shot!

16. Robert, you have a phenomenal view from your balcony!
    Is that Central Park in the foreground?
    Can you tell us more about what we are seeing, left to right?

Thanks,
    Virginia
    aka beaucamera

17. RFCGRAPHICS

RFCGRAPHICS

Apr 30, 2005
    Hi Firelarz, Mainuh, Beaucamera

Thanks for taking to time to leave such nice comments. One never gets bored in NYC.

Virginina.....

The panorama taken from my balcony is of Upper Westside to Midtown Manhattan from across the Hudson River. Here are a couple images to give you more of a perspective.

1 - 180 view off my balcony. The George Washington Bridge is on the left, and Manhattan is on the right. The Hudson River is in the foreground

original.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 - Here is a view taken from the observation deck of the GE Building which you can see in the original posting. I live where noted. Central park is in the middle

[​IMG]

Thanks again everyone

Regards

RFC

18. Wow, I love the "180" one, Robert !

Ronnie

19. That is AWESOME!!! I know nothing about PANO's but even an idiot can tell this is a great one...

20. WoW! All I have to say. Great shots/light/stitching!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.