Manitoba Provincial Flower - at last!

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by fishbio, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Hi All

The Manitoba provincial flower is the Prairie Crocus, Anemone patens. After a colder than average beginning to April they are finally blooming. Unfortunately their flowering period is very short.

These are from Whiteshell Provincial Park East of Winnipeg. This is shield country but these prairie beauties are found in a few spots there.

Cheers,

Larry

Prairie Crocus

479246255_558085c061_o. 479265431_5ee0ea7939_o.

479284971_aff1d68eb0_o.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Very beautiful

3. FOA - beautiful image of a beautiful, delicate flower.

But, I would never have thought that this is genus Anemone. If I would find something like that here in Europe I would call it Pulsatilla. One should never judge plants according to superficial similarity, especially when they are from a different continent :smile: - lesson learned.

Cheers

4. Hi Harry

I have books using Anemone and Pulsatilla for this species, so you are not wrong. Either way it's great to see them blooming in the spring. :smile:

Cheers,

Larry