Manual focus lenses

D

dwind

I have a 300 f2.8, 85 f1.4, 50 f1.4 and a 35 f2 AI lenses. They are a lot of fun to use. What are others that should be added to the collection?
Thanks
Dennis

Dennis, those are some fine lenses.
One of Nikon's very best portrait lenses is the Ai-S 105mm (f/2.5 or f/1.8 - same IQ, just the latter is a faster lens with its advantages).

Or even wider, a 20mm f/2.8, f/3.5 or f/4.
I've only used the AF 20mm f/2.8 and think its great both with film and dx camera.

I'm very fond of a 55 3.5 micro that's been ai-converted.

I recently (about 2 months ago) got a 135 f/2.8 Ai and I have been having alot of fun with it, I know there is the f/2, but it is about 2x the price. The focal length is a bit of an odd one for alot of people but I think it is a good range between the 105 and 180.

G

Gary Mayo

500mm f/4 P IF ED is a great older lens. Copies sell for around two grand to a little more for a clean copy.

This would be a great extension for your 300mm f/2.8

DSC_1303aa_small.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

My wife used this lens a couple of weeks ago. She asked me how to zoom it. I said it does not zoom. Then she asked me why it did not focus, and I told her she needed to focus it. Kinda funny.

Are you only considering Nikkors? Many will also recommend the Zeiss line as well.

I strongly recommend the Zeiss ZF Line too. IQ to Nikkors is subjective as some people like the rendition of Nikkors. I love the Zeiss look. So IQ can go either way BUT as far as handling and build, Zeiss quality is impeccable. Once you handle one, any Nikkors will feel inferior. Thats what happened to me and I ended selling all but one Nikon lens.

Latest threads

Top Bottom