Manual focus question

Hi guys! Today I purchased a 50 1.8 AIS. It will be here Thursday. I have looked at the galleries on pbase, here and everywhere else I could find and decided that for $80 I could see if I could still do MF :) I will be using it on a D700. Will I need to purchase a split prism focus screen to use this lens effectively?
Thanks,
Tracey

I don't have a screen or anything added on and I use MF lenses with success. I'm sure it would help but you can get by fine without

I'm pretty blind and I have no problem MF on a D700. The big bright viewfinder does wonders. It will also give you focus confirmation when in doubt.

Hi:

I agree with all that has been said. For years I struggled with MF on my Pentax DSLR & even bought a split prism focus screen and magnifying eyepiece to help. It did not solve all the problems, but it sure helped.

BTW, KPS makes a 1.35x eyepiece which threads right into the D700, making the screen even larger--it is an excellent, though not cheap addition if you love manual focus. However, if you use the confirmation light, as said already, you will be golden. I am amazed at the MF accuracy of the D700: heck, I came to Nikonia expecting great AF and got it, but MFing with the D700 is pure icing on the cake.

I don't have any issue with manual focusing on my D700 and I'm in my 40s. You know how eyesight starts to get messed up in the 40s. I do have a magnifying eyepiece on the way. Looking forward to see how it will improve manual focusing.

Great tips! Thanks for the hint about the magnifying eyepiece. I will look into it.

jr1966...I turned 40 about 2 weeks ago :( I always heard about the eyesight issues at 40. Two weeks in, my eyesight is ok, but I swear I have a lot more gray hair than I did before my birthday!!!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom