1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Manual, matrix, CW or spot?

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Dennis Carter, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    What is your preference and why do you think your method works for you?

That said, for those who use manual, I guess you reset exposure whenever you change your position on/around the field, right?

I generally use matrix and season to taste with +/- EV; however, my results are not always that great. Jim's post and the comments about CW got me wondering:

https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=178447

Perhaps spot is maybe too precise? Maybe a black number on white jersey could effect the exposure?

Maybe matrix can be too sensitive to the background depending on how much of the frame is filled with the athlete?

Dunno, just ramblin' here.

What say you?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  3. Dennis Carter

Dennis Carter

Jun 29, 2007
    USA
    Holy moly, thanks, Mitchell. You're right, I should have figured this would have been beaten to death previously! :biggrin:

Disregard my question, folks.

4. I still like the old school way, manual, using a Minolta Flash Meter IV, especially when the light is consistant and the backgrounds are significantly darker or lighter than the field. In mixed/changing light I still like manual and just keep whipping out the meter for a double check. Failing that expose off the grass

5. It's actually a great question. The problem is that everyone has their own opinion and technique. Whatever works best for you!

6. Dennis,

Don't feel badly about asking, that's what this forum is all about! At least you're preparing to go out there and bring back some good shots, preparing being the key word.
    My $0.02 is this, I NEVER use matrix. I switch between spot and CW depending upon the lighting, diffused or bright and harsh, uniform colors, bright or dark, or muted. All depending upon the dynamic range difference between the skin tones and surrounding uniforms etc. THAT and since CW is literally STUCK on the center sensor, I might be wanting to meter on another sensor, so that's when I get to spot metering mostly, so the meter spot is on a face, and I adjust the size of the spot too, just in case.

See, it's not easy or simple, nor is there one way to do it for each sport. So keep asking, thinking outside the box, and sharing what is working for you with us too.

7. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I echo what Steve says, I never us Matrix for anything but landscapes. Center weighted or spot is what I prefer for most of my shooting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.