Manual Mode?

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by bubz, May 24, 2007.

1. bubz

bubz

Jul 5, 2006
    Oklahoma City, OK
    I just upgraded from a D50 to D80..

I usally shoot in P Mode--Never shot in Manual Mode tho..

I heard its alot better? and you have more control.. can anyone give me some hints on Manual Mode?

2. I shoot M a lot. I am moving slowly into using A mode. But still prefer M. The key is understanding light and exposure. Any photo book can help with this as the principles are the same as they were with film. Your library is probably full of old how to books for slr cameras. Pick up a few and read the chapters on exposure. Newer books will often focus on the technical aspects of digital capture and meter modes etc. The older ones assume you have a manual camera and need to do all the computing in your head. It's a great place to start. Good luck.

3. moving to M mode

I did the same move from A mode a month ago. I own a D200. In the beggining I faced the same doubts how to set it. However, after some research, now I am confortable with it. My method starts determining (either based on sweet spot of the lens I'm using or the wished depth of field), the aperture I need. After, allways watching the electronic exposure display, adjust the shutter speed to match th centered "0". However, it's allways important to watch the displayed ISO on the right side of the viewfinder, as sometimes to get the lower ISO possible , you'll have to set different adjustments either in the Aperture or the Speed. Actually I started getting better exposures after I did the move.
    Hope this helps.

4. bubz

bubz

Jul 5, 2006
    Oklahoma City, OK
    thanks guys.. i need to play a little more w/ M Mode.. I just dont know how you just know what aperature and shutter speed to set it at just but looking at the subject. kinda weird.

5. deciding aperture/speed

Again, I first decide either based on the "sweet spot" of the lens used or the depth of field I want the f/ factor to use. After I just need to adapt a proper shutter speed based on the information of the electronic exposure metering system...

6. Jon Niola

Jon Niola Guest

When I first got my D80 I wanted to really force myself to learn exposure so I made myself only shoot in M for the first 2 months thinking once I learned I would go back to using A or S like I did on my old camera.

Well, I was wrong - I love the control of using manual mode so I pretty much only shoot in M.

Don't think there is any best way to go about things - only the way you feel most comfortable and get results you are pleased with.

7. danmab

danmab

Apr 26, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Digital Potography = no wasted film = manual mode :)
    I've wanted to force myself to use manual mode, but I always go back to using A or S for mere convenience.
    Although, the one time I did use manual mode, the results cam eout great and consistent. Hmmm....

8. Huff09

Huff09

Feb 25, 2007
    Carmichael, CA
    Generally, it's all about learning exposure. For me, anyway, it's not so much knowing right away what the perfect aperture and shutter speed will be as much as deciding what kind of exposure I want.

In other words, do I want shallow or great depth of field? Do I want to stop all motion (fast shutter) or blur the motion (slower shutter), etc. Once I decide what my main objective is, everthing else is set accordingly.

An example would be a portrait. I would typically want a shallow depth of field so the focus is on my subject. To achieve this, I know I'm going to need a large aperture. I set my aperture (we'll say 2.8) to achieve this. After that, it's just a matter of adjusting my shutter until I have a correctly metered shot.

Granted, this is slightly basic but that is essentially it for me. There is a third component of exposure, which is your ISO. This you can adjust to suit your needs in either a low light situation or for a specific "artistic look" for lack of a better term, for instance if you are intentionally trying to get a grainy look to your photo.

Hope this is at least a little helpful.

9. Bill Gates

Bill Gates

Oct 26, 2006
    Toronto, ON

read up on exposure and learn to use the light meter. after that, you will find shooting manual will give you much better control vs. A, P, or S mode. good luck!

10. Dave_Canada

Dave_Canada Guest

I found when I first staring shooting manual with a d70 i was getting a lot of noise because my iso setting was still on auto , just a heads up to include that in your manual adventures.

11. I'm converting to manual everything this weekend on a photography trip I'm taking to the eastern Sierra. I have been bitten by the D80's Matrix metering and other "auto" features enough times that I simply don't trust it any more, and this trip is too important to me to leave to the whims of the Nikon gods.

I'll be doing landscape photography, so I will have plenty of time to use:

1) Spot Metering mode
    2) Manual Exposure mode
    3) Manual Focus mode
    4) Auto-ISO turned off

Having cut my teeth on 4x5 view cameras, the Zone System, and spot meters
    (and manual *everything*), I am the most comfortable in that mode.

12. KrysiaG

KrysiaG Guest

I used to shoot only in A or P mode, but now shoot entirely in M mode and am very happy with the results I am getting.

You just have to force yourself to do it and through trial and error with your settings, you will figure out what works best in each lighting situation.

Also, I read, and re-read Bryan Peterson's "Understand Exposure" book, which helped a LOT.

GOod luck and enjoy!

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I love shooting manual

14. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    When I am just shooting around I shoot M most. I will take a couple shots P to see how the camera interprets and then switch to M. Then depending on light, speed, blur, etc. I adjust to the meter and histogram to see how it turns out. If I am shooting something where I need the pictures "school program, etc" I will shoot mosting P or A. So I always have some good shots from the P and M and I am learning along the way.

15. paradiddle

paradiddle

Jun 1, 2007
    U.S.A
    When I am just shooting around I shoot M most. I will take a couple shots P to see how the camera interprets and then switch to M. Then depending on light, speed, blur, etc. I adjust to the meter and histogram to see how it turns out. If I am shooting something where I need the pictures "school program, etc" I will shoot mosting P or A. So I always have some good shots from the P and M and I am learning along the way.

16. Question. When using flash in manual, aperture, or shutter priority, why does the exposure display in the view finder always peg to the right indicating complete underexposure. I can't adjust it to "0" although i can do it in P mode. I use p mode and flash because i can see that exposure is set correctly and adjust as necessary.
    Help me understand.
    Brad

17. photoshooter

photoshooter Guest

Probably , best to start shooting in some other exposure mode, not manual.
    Try aperture priority and see how you like it, then shutter p, see how you like it.

MOve the ISO up a bit and see how this affects your other settings.

Photography is difficult enough, why try and make it frustrating also.

M or manual setting mode of exposure is wonderful, but you really need to understand what affects the exposure. Try A or S, a little easier, and those modes may suprise you.