Manually adjusting the autofocus on older DSLR (AF fine tune)

I just purchased a used D2Xs and 80-200 f2.8. Had the chance to go out shooting this weekend with the combo and came back disappointed. It looks as though I may have a front focusing issue as all of my images look like I just missed focus. It presents worse as distance to subject increases. I haven't yet had a chance to test against a focus test target - hoping to do that this week. I did some digging and obviously the D2Xs doesn't have focus fine tuning, but I found a method to adjust the autofocus cam via this website: http://leongoodman.tripod.com/d70focuspart3.html

Has anyone attempted something like this?

Thanks for the reply, Nick. Seems to be a daunting procedure. I assume you had no issues. How difficult did you find the process?

That looks like a maddening process with plenty of opportunity to worsen your focus issues. If you must use your D2Xs, I would send it in to APS or Nikon for a focus adjustment.

Do some tests with a prime lens before you decide the camera body is at fault. It could be that your body is not playing well with the zoom on either end of the range.

I had very specific instructions, plus a phone number/direct email to the tech at Katz. Her advice was to make changes in small increments.
That's what I saw on the link I gave too - small increments and possibly multiple adjustments....

That looks like a maddening process with plenty of opportunity to worsen your focus issues. If you must use your D2Xs, I would send it in to APS or Nikon for a focus adjustment.

Do some tests with a prime lens before you decide the camera body is at fault. It could be that your body is not playing well with the zoom on either end of the range.
It does seem like a lot - I was hoping to try to avoid sending it out for adjustment seeing as I just got it and only gave $250 for it. I only have the two lenses (24-120 and 80-200) so I am limited on the testing I can do. I will do some testing with the other lens before I dive in to it. That's good advice.

As I remember (15 years is a very long time . . . .) Katz tailored adjustment to a 50, f/1.8 only!

Focus adjustment can be tricky business with zoom lenses. It is much easier and consistent with primes.

I use FoCal software for AF fine tune. It's almost impossible to get consistent results throughout the range of most zoom lenses. Even my high end zooms often have different adjustments at both ends of the zoom range. I've been advised to either select the middle of the range for best adjustment or to set at the most used focal length.

Perhaps the OP could borrow a prime and do a bit more testing on the body.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom