1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Mapping software for the Mac

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by TedB, Apr 11, 2007.

1. I'm looking for any guidance on mapping software that might be available for a Mac. On the Windows side, there are many software titles including DeLorme, all the Garmin Map Source software, etc.

This doesn't have to be linked to a GPS, just a stand alone piece that you can ask how to get from here to there, then be able to print out directions and a map....this would be used when an internet connection is not available.

Thanks for any suggestions,

Ted

2. For your purposes, Streets & Trips would be best, but you'd have to use a program to replicate it for use on a Mac. It's a great product, lots of features including shortest route, quickest route, best roads route.... time and distance. I love it and use it all the time on the road.

3. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

4. Thank you both...it appears that I will need to invest in a Windows environment for the Mac.

Thanks
    Ted

5. I generally just go to google maps. Google Earth is available for the Mac. I think it also does routings but I have not done it recently enough to remember for sure.

6. You might want to try http://www.routebuddy.com/

I just came across this site a few days ago. Never seen or tried it myself but it might be what you are looking for.

Please keep up posted !

7. I've tried a most of the Mac approaches to mapping over the years and have given up. None ever came close to Streets and Trips on a PC. I now run it under Parallels on my Mac.

8. Thanks all....

I did investigate RouteBuddy but it seems to be missing the address/go to features in most windows based, mapping systems.

This seems to be a missing applications area for the Mac....appears I'll have to run parallels to be able to get the functionality/software choices I need.

Thanks,

Ted

9. It sounds like you are looking for street-level maps, but just FYI the National Geographic ToPo series is available for Macs and I've been using it for a couple of years - you can get an entire state's worth of 7.5 minute USGS quads in full color and seamless on your screen - plus you can upload/download waypoints/tracks/routes with ease and create an elevation profile and even see everything in 3d too - but since these are simply a scan of the USGS quads much of the info is outdated (some maps for the Arkansas backcountry where I live were last updated in the 1930's, which means there is some really interesting stuff on them!)...

10. Google Earth for the Mac will provide directions. Seems to do a really good job and seems to be pretty current.

11. Lowolf

Lowolf

Jan 26, 2006
    Oregon
    check the link out mapping software for the Mac, why run a bad os on top of a great one

12. I'll look into the link........and I agree, I hate to load another OS just for mapping.

Tim, I've got the software you mentioned and it is pretty impressive...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.