Marbled Godwits

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Tim Z, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Marbled Godwits are an uncommon vistor to our coast in the fall, but a few birds still seem to show up fairly regularly. These were taken a couple of months ago, when there was a pair here for a few days.

D70s with Nikkor 300 f4 & TC-14E II
    ISO 200
    SB-800 in camera hotshoe

Cheers

Tim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nice ones Tim!

Martin

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Tim,

Well done shots. I really like the way you used fill flash to expose the subject, especially on the back lit shots. :smile:

4. very nice Tim

5. These are quite good Tim. I'd be interested in knowing your flash EV settings; they look pretty much perfect!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful images.
    This fellow looks so much like the Limpkin :>)))

7. Excellent bird portraits. This is a bird I haven't seen. Thanks.

8. Beautiful shots Tim. I particularly like 1 & 4. Great job of balancing the lighting.

Don

9. Sweet shots very very well done I so enjoy lookign at your photography.

10. Hi Jim

Nothing really special with flash EV on these shots. I just use my SB-800 in the camera hotshoe (have a Stroboframe Quick Flip on its way to me now). Generally, if the bird is over 20 to 30 feet away, I just usually set the flash on full manual. For most of them I just use my D70 on aperture priority and then use the flash in TTl metering mode. The camera exposes the overall ambient image and the flash highlights the bird. I use this for most of my bird shots, and am now finding that I am somewhat disapointed when I don't. I just llok at the results in the viewfinder, and adjust the + / - flash settings as required.

Wish there was a way to carry all three of my speedlights for field shots like this. Anypne know of a flash bracket for two or threee flashes?

Cheers
    Tim

11. These are exceptional images Tim, I like them a lot.

12. Thanks Tim!

BTW, may not be special to you, but they look special to me!:wink:

13. These are stellar Tim!! I esp like #4 with that rippled reflection.

A Question: is it permissible to download one of these Godwit photos just for personal use?? I'm always trying to study and learn bird IDs, and so I keep a small library of photos on my PC for a slideshow display for ID practice.

14. These are all great, Tim! I may have to try using my speedlight when the light falls. These results are very nice!

15. I've seen brackets for use in the studio on a light stand that will hold a bank of multiple flashes, but I can't tell you exactly where I saw it. Perhaps there would be a way to clamp a setup like this to a Kirk or RRS bracket. You might also ask Kirk and RRS.

16. These are just great, Tim!!! Do you use a blind for these shots or do the birds just love you?

17. Nope, no blind for these shots. I generally do not use blinds for shorebirds, as I find with a bit of patience and the right technique, I can get close enough to them. This pair of Godwits was unusually tame though. I was carefully sneaking up on them, when they started feeding right towards me and actually came within 20 feet. They are a fairly large bird, so within 20 feet was almost too close for my 300 f4 and 1.4x.

I only use my blind for certain "set-up" situations.

t