1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Marbled Godwits

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Tim Z, Jan 2, 2006.

1. Marbled Godwits are an uncommon vistor to our coast in the fall, but a few birds still seem to show up fairly regularly. These were taken a couple of months ago, when there was a pair here for a few days.

D70s with Nikkor 300 f4 & TC-14E II
    ISO 200
    SB-800 in camera hotshoe

Cheers

Tim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Nice ones Tim!

Martin

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Tim,

Well done shots. I really like the way you used fill flash to expose the subject, especially on the back lit shots. :smile:

4. very nice Tim

5. These are quite good Tim. I'd be interested in knowing your flash EV settings; they look pretty much perfect!

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful images.
    This fellow looks so much like the Limpkin :>)))

7. Excellent bird portraits. This is a bird I haven't seen. Thanks.

8. Beautiful shots Tim. I particularly like 1 & 4. Great job of balancing the lighting.

Don

9. Sweet shots very very well done I so enjoy lookign at your photography.

10. Hi Jim

Nothing really special with flash EV on these shots. I just use my SB-800 in the camera hotshoe (have a Stroboframe Quick Flip on its way to me now). Generally, if the bird is over 20 to 30 feet away, I just usually set the flash on full manual. For most of them I just use my D70 on aperture priority and then use the flash in TTl metering mode. The camera exposes the overall ambient image and the flash highlights the bird. I use this for most of my bird shots, and am now finding that I am somewhat disapointed when I don't. I just llok at the results in the viewfinder, and adjust the + / - flash settings as required.

Wish there was a way to carry all three of my speedlights for field shots like this. Anypne know of a flash bracket for two or threee flashes?

Cheers
    Tim

11. These are exceptional images Tim, I like them a lot.

12. Thanks Tim!

BTW, may not be special to you, but they look special to me!:wink:

13. These are stellar Tim!! I esp like #4 with that rippled reflection.

A Question: is it permissible to download one of these Godwit photos just for personal use?? I'm always trying to study and learn bird IDs, and so I keep a small library of photos on my PC for a slideshow display for ID practice.

14. These are all great, Tim! I may have to try using my speedlight when the light falls. These results are very nice!

15. I've seen brackets for use in the studio on a light stand that will hold a bank of multiple flashes, but I can't tell you exactly where I saw it. Perhaps there would be a way to clamp a setup like this to a Kirk or RRS bracket. You might also ask Kirk and RRS.

16. These are just great, Tim!!! Do you use a blind for these shots or do the birds just love you?

17. Nope, no blind for these shots. I generally do not use blinds for shorebirds, as I find with a bit of patience and the right technique, I can get close enough to them. This pair of Godwits was unusually tame though. I was carefully sneaking up on them, when they started feeding right towards me and actually came within 20 feet. They are a fairly large bird, so within 20 feet was almost too close for my 300 f4 and 1.4x.

I only use my blind for certain "set-up" situations.

t

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.