Marbled Godwits

Marbled Godwits are an uncommon vistor to our coast in the fall, but a few birds still seem to show up fairly regularly. These were taken a couple of months ago, when there was a pair here for a few days.

D70s with Nikkor 300 f4 & TC-14E II
ISO 200
SB-800 in camera hotshoe

Cheers

Tim

Marbled-Godwit-(24).jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Marbled-Godwit-(25).jpg

Marbled-Godwit-(18).jpg

Marbled-Godwit-(30).jpg

Tim,

Well done shots. I really like the way you used fill flash to expose the subject, especially on the back lit shots. :smile:

Jim Strathearn said:
These are quite good Tim. I'd be interested in knowing your flash EV settings; they look pretty much perfect!

Hi Jim

Nothing really special with flash EV on these shots. I just use my SB-800 in the camera hotshoe (have a Stroboframe Quick Flip on its way to me now). Generally, if the bird is over 20 to 30 feet away, I just usually set the flash on full manual. For most of them I just use my D70 on aperture priority and then use the flash in TTl metering mode. The camera exposes the overall ambient image and the flash highlights the bird. I use this for most of my bird shots, and am now finding that I am somewhat disapointed when I don't. I just llok at the results in the viewfinder, and adjust the + / - flash settings as required.

Wish there was a way to carry all three of my speedlights for field shots like this. Anypne know of a flash bracket for two or threee flashes?

Cheers
Tim

These are stellar Tim!! I esp like #4 with that rippled reflection.

A Question: is it permissible to download one of these Godwit photos just for personal use?? I'm always trying to study and learn bird IDs, and so I keep a small library of photos on my PC for a slideshow display for ID practice.

Tim Z said:
Hi Jim

Nothing really special with flash EV on these shots. I just use my SB-800 in the camera hotshoe (have a Stroboframe Quick Flip on its way to me now). Generally, if the bird is over 20 to 30 feet away, I just usually set the flash on full manual. For most of them I just use my D70 on aperture priority and then use the flash in TTl metering mode. The camera exposes the overall ambient image and the flash highlights the bird. I use this for most of my bird shots, and am now finding that I am somewhat disapointed when I don't. I just llok at the results in the viewfinder, and adjust the + / - flash settings as required.

Wish there was a way to carry all three of my speedlights for field shots like this. Anypne know of a flash bracket for two or threee flashes?

Cheers
Tim

I've seen brackets for use in the studio on a light stand that will hold a bank of multiple flashes, but I can't tell you exactly where I saw it. Perhaps there would be a way to clamp a setup like this to a Kirk or RRS bracket. You might also ask Kirk and RRS.

Nikam said:
These are just great, Tim!!! Do you use a blind for these shots or do the birds just love you?

Nope, no blind for these shots. I generally do not use blinds for shorebirds, as I find with a bit of patience and the right technique, I can get close enough to them. This pair of Godwits was unusually tame though. I was carefully sneaking up on them, when they started feeding right towards me and actually came within 20 feet. They are a fairly large bird, so within 20 feet was almost too close for my 300 f4 and 1.4x.

I only use my blind for certain "set-up" situations.

t

Latest threads

Top Bottom