Marginal softball work

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by GBRandy, Jul 18, 2007.

1. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    I had a rough day at work Monday...thought a stop at the ball park where I used to coach would help. These are the senior girls and they are serious...I remember / coached them as little squirts!

It is at times like this that I realize just how much intellectual effort is required to get a decent shot. I was tired and made numerous mistakes.....I messed up...most were usable, but only a few that were up to my standards....and barely......not a lot of hitting here :(

For you gals / guys that think this stuff is easy....well, come on down.... :biggrin::biggrin:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2007
  2. Randy,

Well if you think this isn't good enough you are wrong! Nice shots.
    I really like the intensity of #1 and #4 is beautiful too since it leads your eye to where she's pitching, and the composition and background on #2-3 just work so well with each one. nice work.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2007
  3. Glas

Glas

Jun 17, 2007
    S.E.Asia
    Nicely shot, what lens were those pictures captured with and was it in the early evening?

4. Jeff Mims

Jeff Mims

May 25, 2005
    Mississippi
    Very nice shots. Don't see anything bad here, just good stuff.
    And I don't think it's easy to get consistently good shots. If that were true, ALL my stuff would look great!:smile:
    That's why I appreciate good sports photography I see posted here. I have an idea of the talent/skill it takes to get these shots.

5. How true Randy, how many times have I forgot to check a setting, or switch my custom WB from one end of the gym to the other (after specifically taking different settings), etc. -- uh never (yeah right)

But still, these are very nice shots! Looks like you were crouching on #2 & #3?

6. I really like the subtle color and body shape in No. 2. Nice way to turn the day from negative to positve.

7. Love the first one!

8. they look good to me

u meant come on up anywat cause no one lives north of u

btw, they say that m3 will think 4U, not to mention the 200/1.8

9. Yeah, shots look good GBR.

M3 does in fact think for you. It whispered in my ear the other day to hide the receipt from my wife. Darn smart camera :tongue:

10. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Ha! I just have a lowly MKIIn......and that 200 f1.8 went out the window along with the $3750 price tag that came with ZERO Canon support if it broke.

PeterG on the other hand appears to have the best trained MKIII in the country :tongue:

11. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Randy....These are really good...There may be some mistakes in there but
    they are not glaring....I would be glad to say these were mine...

Nice stuff.

12. Hey I wouldn't call those marginal, we all have days like that where things don't go right. A lot of folks don't realize how dead on your settings and eye must be to constantly catch great action shots, it takes a lot of knowledge and work on ones part to get god captures.
    Shooting sports has helped my photography in other areas it has made me learn my camera inside out and has challenged me by having to shoot in difficult setting weather it be bright harsh lights dimly lit gyms or any other number of factors.

13. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Thanks all. I took 200 pictures at that game and these were the only ones I liked. I posted a bunch sold a few but none of these so I guess it all works out. But I usually have 20 - 30 that I really like....having 5 and really only liking three of them was a disappointment.

Fear not! I am back at it Monday :)

14. Randy,
    Just because you didn't like a lot of them doesn't mean that they won't sell, or that someone else doesn't like them. Keep at it and remember the old saying "some days you win, some days you lose, some days it rains". That's about baseball, but works for softball and life in general.

15. forget hiding the receipt, how about hiding the camera...maybe just hide the m2 and tell her it's the same camera...yea that'll work (do u have a spare bedroom for him when he needs it in case it doesn't work)

16. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    My original plan was just that. There is NO WAY my wife would tell the difference between an MKIIn & and MKIII. I was going to sell the MKIIn within a couple of weeks and then present her the funds when the CC bill showed up. No harm, no foul.

But as you and PeterG know, that didn't quite develop as I had hoped.

Asking for forgiveness on a couple hundred bucks is one thing....getting busted spending $4500 is quite another. :eek::eek::eek:

17. joepilot

joepilot

Mar 21, 2007
    Richmond Va.
    Randy I wish the shots of my grandsons 1st tee ball game were that nice .
    Found it hard to shoot in bright sun .