Maria......actually stopped running

Discussion in 'People' started by RayGuselli, Nov 13, 2005.

1. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi

Got one of my little girl Maria actually sitting down.

It was a candid shot and I wanted to make it appear more studio like.

Not sure if I have as I have been working on and off on this shot.

Would appreciate any criticism, help and guidance please.

Very best wishes

Ray[​IMG]

2. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

Lovely expression

Hi...these are the kind of shots I try to get, candid expressions that you can then work on to give a more polished feel (a few on my smugmug gallery if you feel like looking). So much of the time this is only possible between manic bouts of activity so the first comment has to be *well* done for capturing in the first place.

I'd say you are really on the right lines with the technique, you've retained the softness which is appropriate for the subject and expression (i.e. I wouldn't go for any 'pop' in this shot).

One comment on processing if I may...I'd be concerned about the gradation between light and shadow here, especially if you were to print this out. You might want to lift the shadows (on the head and face and possibly shoulder) a touch.

My monitor is just about holding onto the detail, which for me normally means in a print I'd lose a lot.

Well done - and you must be one very proud daddy!

3. Hi, Ray - beautiful child and such stunning blue eyes! Had you thought about applying some PWL (paint with light) on the shadow side? Not much but enough to bring her left eye and cheek out of the shadows just a tad. Nice capture - know how difficult it is to get a young child to sit still. :wink:

4. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Peter and Dianne

Really grateful for the advice.

Funnily enough the original is not as dark on the left - that has been down to me and the processing.

I would like to print the shot so I must really follow your advice or it sounds as if I will end up with an image too dark.

I appreciate the advcie and which I will follow.

Interesting that your comments were almost identical so I must work on the help given.....really grateful as relative newbie to this game. (December 2004)

Looked at the shots Peter and they are great - we seem to share the same liking for trying to develop a candid shot (or in my case, it is a requirement if I am to get a shot of Maria!!)

Nice shots of the Mercs as well!

Once again - thanks....will work on shot and if you dont mind, post again.

All the best

Ray

5. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    A completely different feel to the same shot

Hi

Would appreciate comments and help.

I posted above and have another version of the same shote here.

Is the lighter approach more effective please or do I retain the more dramatic feel?

Look forward to hearing and learning from the posts.

Thanks a lot

Ray

[​IMG]

6. PeterRH

PeterRH Guest

7. Hi Ray, I like the second shot the best but feel that you have gone just a tad too far with the eyes. They are electric blue and appear to be somewhat unnatural. Cute daughter by the way.

8. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Thanks again

I have the darker version as a seperate file and think I therefre need to return to that and lighten up as suggested and get rid of the electric blue eyes.....I agree now I see them again!

Will work again and repost if I may....thank you.

Best wishes

Ray

9. Ray, Your daughter is beautiful! I liked the second version better, but hope you can do something about the red in her hair. The first seemed overdone to me.

Virginia
    aka beaucamera

10. Hi Ray,

I hope you don't mind i try to edit your lovely Maria photo. The one thing i allways strugled with my D70 was skin tones. It sometimes looked not quite good. I see you made a wonderfull capture of Maria. And i love your work on it. What you find of this edit. Only used another layer on screen mode and adjusted the opacity. And i added a new layer with black and a layer mask to it that was on reveal all and then painted with black the parts back that i want to be lighted. And i added a new layer and selected the skin colour i wanted and painted over the left cheek where there was to much bright light shining. If you don't like me posting the edited photo then let me know and i will erase it for you right away.

[​IMG]

Or with a lighter version:

[​IMG]

Greetings,
    Vince

11. radz

radz

Nov 12, 2005
    NewDelhi,India
    Lovely portrait Ray!
    I liked the second one.

12. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Vince

Many thanks for taking the time to help - really appreciated.

I am delighted that you helped and have no problem in the processing - that is what it is all about for me and your post helps such a lot.

I really like what you have done as you seem to have provided a more real and balanced appearance.

I am going to copy your instructions and re-do my full size version.

Should I have posted the original for you to see and perhaps have a play with (if you have time and didn't mind).

The original is very less dramatic etc.

Just a thought.

All the best

Ray

13. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Radz

Many thanks

Getting some help as well from Vince so hopefully will improve it a little more.

All the best

Ray

14. No problem, i like to help out each other. Maybe one day you help out again. That is why i love this board everybody is kind and helpfull.

If you like i can try to edit your portret.

Greetings,
    Vince

15. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Hi Vince - LARGE IMAGE

Many thanks for your kind offer.

Here is the picture of maria as was - untouched.

Would love to see your rendition and also anyone else who may lke to process it.

Again - many thanks

All the best

Ray

[​IMG]

16. Hello Ray,

I edited your photo this is the end result in jpg websized. I send you also a email if you can send me your email adres to my email adres or through private message. Then i can send you the PSD file and the Original sized jpg file. The PSD file will contain all steps i made.

[​IMG]

17. RayGuselli

RayGuselli

Oct 18, 2005
    Vince - Superb

Hi Vince
    That is beautiful work.

You see, in this case you have just proved "less is more".

I look at my first image and no longer like it.

It is too processed and deep.

This is a little girl's picture - more light and happy.

The original was not enough but this is perfect.

I have e mailed details to you and look forward to getting the full size files - not to alter or do anything with but so I can print this image as you have done.

Very many thanks again......

Ray

18. Thanks Ray,

Wait until you get the psd file and then look if it still is less is better! :biggrin:
    Was nice to work on your photo. She is pretty young lady and you did good job on making a beautifull photo.

Greetings,
    Vince

19. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    a

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2005