1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Mario Testino at the Royal Wedding

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Frits, Apr 29, 2011.

1. I was very pleased to see several views of famous fashion photographer Mario Testino at the Royal Wedding this morning. He obviously had a prominent spot among the guests.

He is one of my all time favorites, together with the late Richard Avedon.
    Especially his work with Vogue is breathtaking. Of course we remember his wonderful photo session with Princess Diana not long before she died.

He also did the portrait of William and Kate that is featured on the official program of the wedding.
    His favorite muse is another Kate (Moss).

I predict that we will see some beautiful images of the Duchess of Cambridge by Mario in the not too distant future...

2. Seneca

Seneca

Dec 4, 2006
    Texas!
    I love the B&W...but William's smile looks forced. Kate is just a beautiful girl. Ok my question...and I should know this but I don't...what is William's last name?:confused: 

3. Growltiger

Growltiger Administrator Administrator

Windsor. They are the Windsors.

I'm a republican, and that means something different here! (Nothing to do with politics)

4. Ryan_T

Ryan_T

Mar 24, 2011
    Canada
    I learnt how to do a windsor when I was 14.

5. mom2three

mom2three

Apr 7, 2008
    Michigan
    I can't figure out how the women keep those hats on!

6. Yep; they changed it from "Saxe-Coburg Gotha" during WW1 :biggrin:

(My favourite quote from Blackadder Goes Forth:

'"I'm as British as Queen Victoria!"

"So, you're half-German, your father's a German, and you married a German?"')

7. most high fashion hats have a small elastic that's worn behind the hairdo with a modest hat pin for added security. At least that's the way I wear my hat when in period costumes.

8. kixsand

kixsand

Nov 13, 2009
    Toronto
    Thanks for the link Frits!

I really enjoyed seeing the black & whites of Diana...superb images.

9. It's Mountbatten-Windsor. Actually his full name is: William Arthur Philip Louis Mountbatten-Windsor

Yes, I am looking forward to many more beautiful photos from Mario Testino in the future!

ETA: I just did a quickie Google and found out a little more about that name:

From Wikipedia:

Mountbatten-Windsor is the personal surname of some of the descendants of Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh under an ambiguously-worded Order-in-Council issued in 1960, and as such a cadet branch of the House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (known as the House of Glücksburg for short), which in turn is a branch of the House of Oldenburg.
    It differs from the official name of the British Royal Family or Royal House, which remains Windsor. The adoption of the Mountbatten-Windsor surname does not apply to members of the Royal Family who are not descended from The Queen (her cousins, for example, and the descendants of the late Princess Margaret). The Order specifically applies the surname to those descendants of the Queen not holding Royal styles and titles but it has been applied to or informally used by members of the Royal Family descended from Queen Elizabeth II as their surname, as shown at the marriages of the Duke of York and the Princess Royal, both having been registered with Mountbatten-Windsor in their entries in the marriage registers.

10. Gobae

Gobae

Dec 4, 2008
    Valley Falls, NY
    Probably a hat pin. In fact there is a Hat Pin Society in the UK. Since the ends are often decorated they can be collectibles.

11. The difference between the two Kate's is the Moss photo would need much more airbrushing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.