mark III, D2X, D200, 5D and D2h compaired

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by alex from holland, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Hi All,

Yesterday evening we had a long evening. We have tried to compaire the above mentioned 5 camera's.

I can tell you : It's very difficult and a huge amount of work.

We don't want to push any camera. We just wanted to compaire them as fair as possible. we are all happy shooters with our own camera's

Who is we : My friends Ben and Henk and me

How we did it :

Tripod Gitzo carbon 1327
    RRS bh-55 balhead
    Mirror-up and remote release
    All camera's :
    No scharpening
    Normal contrast
    noise reduction off
    S-rgb
    100 iso at f8 1/2 sec
    200 iso at f8 1/4 sec
    400 iso at f8 1/8 sec
    800 iso at f8 1/15 sec
    1600 iso at f8 1/30 sec
    3200 iso at f8 1/60sec
    6400 iso at f8 1/125 sec
    White balance fixed all camera's at K 3000
    All jpeg best resolution

Only sharpening done in PS 150/08/2
    NO further PS work done

camera's used

canon 5d with 24-70
    Mark III with 24-120 is (gave better results as with the 24-70)
    d200, d2x and d2h with 28-70

all at about 50 mm

Because of the different crops we decided to move the tripod to get the same frame filling. Doing this we have used all pixels for the "same" framing.

Offcourse there is some perspective changing.

The way how we did it will always be discussed.
    We thing this can be done in dozens of ways but never the full right one
    If you have any suggestions please lett us know

Original : http://upload.pbase.com/alex28/image/80521223/original

2. DrewC

DrewC

Jan 30, 2007
    Denver, CO
    wow... i thought nikon had caught up with the noise handling... i was mistaken

3. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    That's pretty cool! After looking at it for awhile I feel like a fly :)

4. Interesting test! Thanks for posting.

To me, the 5D looks brighter than all the rest while losing some shadow detail. The gray doesn't look as deep.

On the tip of the nose in each photo is where some noise shows up and you can compare a little bit. They all look good though, atleast to me.

John

5. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    Hi Alex,

It would have been interesting to see a D2Hs in that test...:wink:

Nice work though, the Mark III does set a new standard on High-ISO performance from what i've seen so far.

6. Unfortunatly i have sold mine a year ago.

7. Sandro Bravo

Sandro Bravo

Nov 18, 2005
    Portugal
    You can always get another one...:wink: I don't think Nikon will release anything soon, they never do things when we expect or need them...:biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2007
  8. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Nice work, and I am happy to see that the D2x and D200 do very very well At ISO 100. and maybe because I shoot the D200 The files are very nice and detailed too and I prefer them to the Canon files because I am used to the color and contrast, but that could be the lens too. Just what you get used to.

After ISO 800, you can see the noise diff. Clear as day, the Canon at ISO 6400 is remarkable.

My personal shots at ISO 1600 Raw with NX noise reduction of only a small amount looks much better than the shadows here. not the same as the 5D but closer than this and much better than the noise with these settings.

I also have some ISO 2500 shots that rival the 3200 ISO on the 5D. Shooting Raw once again and a little NX noise reduction.

good work, thanks again.

Wade

9. Okay the Mark III at high ISO rules however it seems that the D2X at low ISO produces better images.

10. AndyE

AndyE

May 2, 2005
    Vienna, Austria
    Alex,
    thank you (and your friends) for the effort and insight.

I did a while ago a comprehensive noisetest with 11 Nikon bodies. Results can be found here: www.pbase.com/andrease/noisetest

Based on this comparison, for high ISO noise the D2X and D200 are not at the same level as the youngest generation of Nikon SLRs. The D80 and D40X are visible better. I do understand that they are not Pro, but nevertheless, it show the progress Nikon achieved recently.

Even if it sound silly, you might use a D40X and compare it to the 5D and the DIII - I'd expect it to be better than the 5D but worse than the DIII.

Thanks again for your effort,
    Andy

11. What is most impressive is that the Mark 3 is at a disadvantage in this comparison, as the exposure appears to be about 1/2 stop under the D2X. Even then, the ISO 6400 Mark 3 is similar to the ISO 1600 D2X. This is based on the assumption that the background was white...

12. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    While the Canons clearly have lower noise in the shadows, I couldn't help but notice that the Canon shots look softer. In particular if you look at hat the D2x and D200 preserve much more texture/detail compared to the Canon shots where the material looks smudged due to the NR.

But I think we have to realize we're probably comparing JPEG processing engines as much as sensors here. Shooting RAW and converting with a common convert (ACR, Bibble, etc) might give a better idea of pure sensor performance.

13. davewolfs

davewolfs

May 23, 2006
    I find it even more interesting that Canon is sending letters to people that they have sent out a bad batch of Mark III with serious focus problems.

Can't say that the images look soft. The 5D can produce fantastic images and I am sure the Mark III can trump it.

14. Hi Alex

Wow, that's a lot of 'work' posting all those pics.

Hmmmmmm......... to my eye the D2x images are sharper and more 'vibrant' from 800 ISO and down. VERY surprising! I really didn't (and don't) expect the D2x to be equal in IQ with the 5D and Mark III. :confused:. Again, very surprising. Were the originals jpgs or RAWs?

The high ISO canon shots look GREAT! Clearly the low-light kings.

Thanks for posting
    JohnG

15. Hi Andy,

I know. I did comaired with a d50 about 1 1/2 year ago with a d50 wich was tha handsdown winner regarding noise but not on detail.
    We did compaired these camera's because this was all we had and they were all "pro" body's . But that doesn't say it are the best body's !

16. That is a lot of work to post these. I've done a couple side by sides with two cameras against the D50 and it's lost to the D2X and Fuji S3 so far... :biggrin:

I do agree with the other posters that the Canon images look soft and not as much detail as the Nikon shots until you get above iso800 where the MarkIII is just incredible. I'm not impressed with any 5d images I've seen in testing so far... A guy I work with bought one and it sits in the bag while he uses his 20D

17. Hi Brian

That's interesting about the 5d. Although I've never used one, I was under the impression (from reading the forums) that it was pretty good/great from an IQ perspective. Learn something new every day! :eek:

When will you post some more S3 comparisons? We're waiting with great anticipation. :tongue:

Regards
    JohnG

18. Dont know about the noise, but the 28-70 sure seems like a great lens by these shots.

19. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    It's pretty competitive below ISO 400. Clearly Canon still holds the high ISO advantage. The blown highlights in the 5D shots (eyes) are consistent. The gray background in the Canon images surprises me. Does this show the Nikon's have more contrast? Or DR?

IMHO, rating highest IQ (ISO100); 1) D2X, 2) D200, 3) Mark III, 4) 5D, 5) D2H (ISO200).

20. It is hard to please everyone with testing technique, but I think you have done a good job. It does look to to me that the mark 111 at ISO 100 hasn't got the white balance correct or it is underexposed a bit as the background isn't white as the others, but a slight grey tint. If the exposure is wrong, then the blue will wash out a bit, but if the white balance is wrong then the blue may pop up as well as the D2X is showing. What are your thoughts?
    Thanks again for this test as it is always interesting to see someone back what they are saying with images.