Mark up on Nikon D700 prices

One Amazon retailer has it marked up to $3000 (Body only). Is it because of what happened to Nikon's facility in Sendai?

One Amazon retailer has it marked up to $3000 (Body only). Is it because of what happened to Nikon's facility in Sendai?

Yikes! :eek:

That's pretty steep. I'm not surprised though. Prices have gone up quite a bit on everything in the last 2 years.

I'd be shocked to see any legitimate authorized dealers going above msrp. It's a delicate balance between supply and demand in situations like this - on the one hand, it's an obvious opportunity to increase profit, but gouging is unethical and in some cases illegal (though that applies to necessary goods like fuel and food). On the other hand, people are clamoring for bits they've been putting off buying due to the possibility of long term shortages. The only real way to regulate the remaining stock is push the prices back up to msrp. No one wants to be the first dealer to run out of everything, so they keep the prices higher than their stabilized discounted price to both keep stock and not alienate customers.

My suggestion would be to report "scalpers" to Nikon USA so if they are authorized, Nikon can deal with them appropriately. Beyond that, expect to pay msrp for (especially) Japan made gear. I just hope for the sake of the Japanese people the tectonics settle back down so they can start making better progress getting back to life and stop panicking every time the ground vibrates. I can even imagine the fear of just getting through the day...

it's a combination of the disaster in Japan and the severly tanking US$.

with the AUD$ now > US$, i'm enjoying quite reasonable prices on imports....

Rob Zijlstra

A Koffie Drinker
I just checked and prices in The Netherlands are stable for the D700 since oct/nov last year. And you can just buy them. I think it has more to do with the (expected) value of the US dollar as anything else.
I might add that if a retailer offers them for US$3000 it is his right to ask that price. If you don't wont to pay that price as a consumer, then don't do it. That's a basic capitalistic law I thought, but I might be mistaken:wink:.

Same here Rob, no change in fact prices are lower than a year ago. The price increase seems to be due to the value of the USD.

Amazon is now $3299 with only one left. None in stock at B&H, Adorama, Best Buy, Ritz, Berger Brothers, Canoga, J&R, Crutchfield,

Crutchfiled has low stock on D700 + 24-120 f/3.5-5.6 for $3,369

The D700 has seen the most dramatic price increase and stock shortage among the Nikon gear. According to B+H, it was Nikon USA and not the dealers that specifically raised the D700 price right after the disaster. Here is my guess what might have happened: Nikon was planning to make the D700 for a couple more months, then switch over production to the D800. Once the disaster hit and production was disrupted, Nikon decided not to resume D700 production at all but focus on retooling for the D800. So there would be a few months without FX semi-pro body, and accordingly Nikon raised the price on remaining D700 that were still in the distribution channel. With the D3s, Nikon may have made a different decision: They probably decided to resume production until the D4 is ready, since it would be quite some damage for Nikon's reputation to be without any pro body at all for half a year. Again, this is just guessing.

The D700 has seen the most dramatic price increase and stock shortage among the Nikon gear. According to B+H, it was Nikon USA and not the dealers that specifically raised the D700 price right after the disaster. Here is my guess what might have happened: Nikon was planning to make the D700 for a couple more months, then switch over production to the D800. Once the disaster hit and production was disrupted, Nikon decided not to resume D700 production at all but focus on retooling for the D800. So there would be a few months without FX semi-pro body, and accordingly Nikon raised the price on remaining D700 that were still in the distribution channel. With the D3s, Nikon may have made a different decision: They probably decided to resume production until the D4 is ready, since it would be quite some damage for Nikon's reputation to be without any pro body at all for half a year. Again, this is just guessing.

I agree with this logic, also I know from my store's Nikon rep that virtually only the 'pro' department was affected by the tsunami ie. pro glass and D3s/x bodies etc.

Pretty crappy timing to be shopping for a back-up body huh. I'm leaning towards a D7000 to tide me over until a D800 emerges. What... to... do......???

I've just negotiated (everything's negotiable in Dubai) a new D700 for $2,300. A good price in the current market?

$3,000 and it's a no-no for me, but $2,300 is tempting me big style! :smile:

I've just negotiated (everything's negotiable in Dubai) a new D700 for $2,300. A good price in the current market?

I'd say yes, that's a good price for a new D700. Now-a-days your lucky to find a lightly used one for that price.

Solid deal IMO. Used D700's at KEH and Amazon are right around $2800. :eek:

I got mine 2 years ago for $2500 and enjoyed every bit of it.

Jumping right now!!! Off to the shop I go - fingers crossed they put it aside as promised - it's the last new D700 in Dubai.

Latest threads

Top Bottom