Markets in Marrakech, Morocco

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by bobhoge, Oct 7, 2005.

1. There is a huge market in Marrakech, Morocco, called "Place Jamaa El Fna" that we walked around in for a short while. It is hard to comprehend that there are about 2500 shops in this one market! :eek:

The huge square in front of the market:
    39075121-L.

Many of the "shops" were on wheels in the square:
    39075949-L.

39075878-L.

39076197-L.

The olive shop was very colorful:
    39074580-L.

But not as colorful as the spice shops:
    39075625-L.

The square was full of juglers, snake charmers, acrobats, and other entertainers, all wanting money to shoot a photo. I got a bad feeling when one of the guys traveling with us paid for a photo and then they started hasseling him for more money when he took a second shot, so none of those to show you.
    Bob & Nan

2. Wow, what a beautiful display by the various stands. Well captured shots with great color. Thanks for sharing this unusual sight.

3. These are very colorful shots of an exotic place.

Your story makes me fear that someday not too far in the future, we'll have to pay to take photos abroad while we'll be unable to take photos in many places here in the U.S. . . .

Eric

4. JB

JB

May 27, 2005
    Washington, DC
    Thanks for sharing

Hi Bob,

Thanks for sharing.

I'm planning a trip to Morocco myself. Did you ever have any concerns about theft of your camera gear while there?

5. Hi JB,
    I was not too concerned about theft of the camera gear, but at the time we were in the Place Jamaa El Fna marketplace, we were with a group of 10 or 12 friends and had a local guide leading us. It was late afternoon and the market was not crowded. He told us that in a couple of hours it would be very crowded, which would have made me much more wary!
    I was much more concerned about pick-pockets (or that Nan would see something she wanted to buy :eek: ). I put my wallet in a front pants pocket with some brochures folded on top of it.
    We were staying in a very nice hotel (La Mamounia) which was very first-class and seemed very secure.
    Let me know if you have more questions.
    Bob (& Nan)

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful Bob and Nan
    These new lenses have done you proud :>)))

Really great stuff you have been sharing.. Much appreciated.

I will never have the opportunity to see what you have seen.

Thank You !!!!!!!!