Markins Tripod Base

Discussion in 'Tripods, Ball Heads, and Gimbals' started by Goofy, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    I received a TB-20 tripod base from Markins today for a Gitzo GT2330 tripod. I emailed Markins before ordering to make sure it was compatible as the tripod is a fairly new model, they said yes. I've tried to fit the base but with no joy, it seems slightly too small and the threads look to be different sizes anyway.

I've emailed Markins and told them the same, hopefully they'll get back to me soon. I was just wondering if anyone out there had tried the same combo and if so what was the outcome??

Does it really not fit or am I just living up to my screen name!!?

Thanks in advance.

2. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    It's a bit sad answering your own posts but... Basically a mix up.

The Markins guy got his numbers wrong when he told me it would fit. They've since looked into it and the relevant tripod model numbers are now listed on the Markins site with no compatible base as yet.

3. slappomatt

slappomatt

May 13, 2006
    San Diego CA
    totally off topic... but hey goofy. how do you rate the 18-35 @18mm against the 18-70@ 18mm? I have always figured the 18-35 would be sharper since its a FF lens and only using the sweet spot. the 18-70 has more distortion than I would like at 18mm and also vinettes more than I care for there. any comments?

4. Rebelranger

Rebelranger

Feb 4, 2007
    Northern CA
    I have the 2530 and ended up going with the Kirk FP-200. I'm not sure if that will work with yours.
    Check here.
    I hope it helps

5. Goofy

Goofy

Jul 6, 2007
    Palos Verdes, CA.
    Mark
    Hi Matt,
    Sorry for the delay in replying... I thought I was the only one posting in this thread!!

To be honest, I haven't really used the lens to it's full potential yet. I got the 18-35 the same time as the 35-70, I wanted to replace the 18-70 because that was going to my wife. I don't shoot wide that much so budget was an issue and I'd read numerous reviews about how it gives the 17-35 a run for it's money on a 1.5x sensor. The few times I've used it so far though I've been happy with it, the 35-70 and 80-200 are hard to beat for the money but in my view it's not far behind. I haven't noticed any vignetting and distortion at the wide end is not a problem in my opinion. I'm hoping to use it a bit more now that I've moved to San Diego (for the mandatory sunset shots:smile:) and I'm in the process of trying to get a website going so I'll try to post some pics at some stage. Thom Hogan has a review of the lens on his site which I'm sure will help you more than I can.

Hi Rebel,

Thanks for the info but I think the 2330 has a different thread as it's constructed from a new compound, I looked at the Kirk stuff and the 2330 isn't listed. Markins have said they'll get back to me if they start producing one and I'll keep looking on the Kirk site too. Thanks again for the info though.