1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Marlboro Psychiatric Hospital in Freehold NJ

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by frede, Jul 20, 2008.

1. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Another from my trip to Marlboro Psychiatric Hospital. The Tudor designs there were really beautiful. The buzzard is real in this one. Actually, the buzzards were everywhere and seemed to follow me around the 1K acre campus - kept the hair on the back of my neck standing at attention...:smile:

2687033462_9de7696980_o.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Great shot - really spooky looking place! Looks like something out of a Hitchcock film.

3. Well done, Fred! Taken a while ago? (No leaves on the trees).
    Boy, the stories this place could tell........

4. StephanieHelen

StephanieHelen

Jun 9, 2006
    Neat image!

I think I would be disturbed if I had to live there, what is the inside like?

5. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Dave.

Thanks Mark. Yea taken 3.5 months ago. There were many stories when Marlboro was up and running - none of them were good.

Thanks Stephanie. I did not venture inside on this one. Every entrance at Marlboro is tightly boarded, so I would have had to break something to get in. I draw the line at destroying things when I visit these places. :smile:

6. Great shot. The way you processed it really sets an eerie mood. Well done.

7. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    your pictures are so great

they have the ominous feeling to them

I feel inclined to spend extra time looking at it to see if there are any ghosts in the picture

a psych hospital in BW with dead/winter trees in front of it

straight out of a horror film

8. rawke

rawke

Jun 16, 2008
    Canada
    Wish we had some historic buildings here in Edmonton like that. That is devastatingly eerie image, could be a nice intro for a flashback scene in the movies haha

how did you PP the image?

9. frede

frede

Dec 9, 2006
    Princeton, NJ
    Thanks Rich.

Thanks Leighton. I don't know what it is but I love shooting these places.

Thanks. Have you tried Google - I'd be surprised if there wasn't some abandoned locations within driving distance of you.

I processed the image using masked duplicate layers and one texture layer. The texture layer is an image that I shot of the sky - I used the multiply blend mode, and painted out the areas of the sky image layer that I didn't want on the base image. Because I masked the layer I was able to paint the texture in or out easily using black/white brushes. I also used 3 masked duplicate layers and adjusted the curves to brighten/darken differently on each layer - this gave me the ability to paint light in or out. Lastly I used 1 or 2 masked Gaussian blur layers adjusting the opacity and painting in and out selectively. Tutorials on each of these techniques can be found on Google. The key is to experiment - each image is different, but that's the fun part. :smile:

10. aNikkorGuy

aNikkorGuy

Apr 15, 2012
    California
    I love it, I wish my home would look like this,well first off it's a Modern style home, but I'd much prefer Tudor!

11. Very, very nice. I followed the link to your site and your work is outstanding and certainly deserves more than one visit.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.