Marsel van Oosten's Excellent Article

Today (Sat 9/8) on Nikon Rumors. One of the Nikon Ambassador's chosen to do their launch photography describes his experience with three Z7's in the field in Madagascar, with comparisons at times to the D850. And in case you think it is just a puff piece, he does point out some negatives, most notably that focus is slower than the D850 with current lenses, and the buffer is small (so no sports shooters need apply). He also pointed out some of the drawbacks to the EVF, although in general he is positive about it.

He found the 24-70/4 his favorite of the new lenses, and includes shots into the sun with no flaring. He also found the corner sharpness claims to be valid.

Finally, the article is accompanied by some really incredible landscape photos, with links to even more. I think you will find it worthwhile reading.

Nikon Z7 field report by Marsel van Oosten | Nikon Rumors

Thanks for this link, Harry. It is a very informative article.

There have been a lot of negative comments on the internet about the Z6 and Z7, but they are all from people who have never seen or used one. This is the second report I've read by someone who actually used one, and both are overwhelmingly positive. I think a year from now most of us will want one.

I saw this on NR earlier and gave it a pass. Your comments, above, Harry, made me stop and read it. I'm glad I did, it's a well written and objective piece. Almost all the other "reviews" are "the Z7/6 are/are not like a D5/D850/D750/a Sony/a Canon/etc." and therefore I love/hate it."
This review is "this is a Z7."

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Marsel happens to be someone I know and I’ve exchanged some messages with him about his experience with the Z7. The article echoes what he told me personally. In particular, he was impressed with how well the F-mount lenses work with the FTZ adapter.

I found his EVF observation in the article regarding how it does not accurately represent low light environments to be very useful. Since the EVF is effectively an LCD monitor that replaces the pentaprism, it does not truly reflect the scene as presented to the sensor. He had to use the histogram to validate exposure prior to pressing the shutter button. What might appear well exposed in the EVF might be very underexposed according to the histogram. Not a deal breaker, just a different way of insuring your image will be exposed as you intend.

I found his EVF observation in the article regarding how it does not accurately represent low light environments to be very useful. Since the EVF is effectively an LCD monitor that replaces the pentaprism, it does not truly reflect the scene as presented to the sensor. He had to use the histogram to validate exposure prior to pressing the shutter button. What might appear well exposed in the EVF might be very underexposed according to the histogram. Not a deal breaker, just a different way of insuring your image will be exposed as you intend.
That's an important point worth considering. But at least you can see the histogram before you shoot, which we can't do with our DSLR cameras. I wonder if you can see full RGB histograms in the viewfinder? I doubt it.

I find it interesting that you can also check white balance in your viewfinder before the shot. In tricky lighting I often take a few test shots while dialing in different WB Kelvin temperature settings until what I see on the LCD review matches what I see with my eyes. This feature would eliminate that.

Glad you found the article useful, guys. I hope others will as well. I am getting more and more interested in perhaps having this as my "last" camera, although my car, my teeth (or lack thereof) and my missing "hearing" are going to take precedent for the year. Perhaps by then they will have caught up with the preorders ......?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom