Marsh Wren or GBH?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by SSchex, Dec 23, 2005.

1. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Captured this marsh wren thinking it was a GBH. After catching the minnow he ran up on the bank to eat it.

original.

original.

2. Cool! never knew they ate minnows. I manage to catch some shots of a carolina wren today. will post them soon.
    Dave

3. I'm loving your Marsh Wren shots Scott, 'cause I have never been able
    to get close enough to the ones I see here (in N.J.) for photos. And I especially like bird behavior shots. I'm thinking that maybe the shot of the wren catching a minnow would be of interest to your local Audubon society?? I was so surprised by that; had no idea wrens went fishing.
    Very cool !!

4. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    That is neat! :cool: There is so much to learn beyond "mere photography":wink:

5. Very cool Scott! :smile: And I agree that these images should be presented to some ornithologists. I would be very interesting to hear if this is normal or a rare occurance. I would never have guessed that any wren would eat fish.

Cheers

Tim

6. SSchex

SSchex

May 18, 2005
    Louisiana, USA
    Thanks to all for the kind words. There were about 4 of these wrens along the edge of this pond, but this is the only one I saw catch a minnow. I spent about an hour taking pictures of them. I just pulled up in my truck and shot out the window. I'll try and find out about fish eating wrens. Oh yeah, 70-200 VR and 1.7 TC at f/8, ISO 200,wb cloudy.