MARSUPIAL Mouse

This is a MARSUPIAL Mouse, not a rodent nor normal mouse and are endemic to Australia. They are rare and they are difficult to photograph due to their very secretive behaviour and the fact that they are mostly nocturnal. They are a Marsupial, like a Kangaroo, Kaola etc in that they have a "pouch" that their young stay in and suckle until they are large enough to fend for themselves. I am very chuffed about getting these photos as they are difficult to get a photo of due to them being mostly nocturnal. I was just lucky enough to be photographing birds and these two appeared from a large rotting fallen tree and I could quickly snap off a few shots before they scurried away to safety. I think these are the Yellw-footed variety. They are an interesting little critter, especially the male which generally dies after an intense up to 12 hour sexual encounter! It's worth reading about here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antechinus

D850 + 400 f2.8E FL R + 1.4x TCIII, 1/200s f/5.0 at 550.0mm iso4500

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

D850 + 400 f2.8E FL R + 1.4x TCIII, 1/200s f/5.0 at 550.0mm iso6400

original.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Oh....these are exceptional images! So sharp, excellent DOF......WOW!!!! What does "chuffed" mean.....happy, satistifed, or ???

Oh....these are exceptional images! So sharp, excellent DOF......WOW!!!! What does "chuffed" mean.....happy, satistifed, or ???
Thank you ever so much for your very generous comments, Karen! "Chuffed" means very pleased or satisfied. 😊
They sure are cute! You were ready when the opportunity presented itself. These shots are first rate! Are these mice a problem?
Thank you very much for your lovely comments, Terri!
These mice are very uncommon and quite rare and that is why I am so pleased at getting these rare in-the-wild images. There are plenty of images that are taken of them in captivity, but very few of them actually in the wild going about their business. 😊

Real Name
Dan
Congrats on the captures, Lance. There's no substitute for time in the field in order to be there when those magic moments offer themselves up. And you did your part. Both images are excellent. The first one couldn't have been set up any better with the clean BG and moss covered log. Really nicely done.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
These are extraordinary. I imagine the museums in AU would be interested in see them since they are natural habitat. Make sure you document the circumstances and place where you photographed them in the IPTC metadata description so you have that for posterity.

Congrats on the captures, Lance. There's no substitute for time in the field in order to be there when those magic moments offer themselves up. And you did your part. Both images are excellent. The first one couldn't have been set up any better with the clean BG and moss covered log. Really nicely done.
Thank you very much for your kind comments and appraisal, Dan!
These are extraordinary. I imagine the museums in AU would be interested in see them since they are natural habitat. Make sure you document the circumstances and place where you photographed them in the IPTC metadata description so you have that for posterity.
Thank you very much for your generous comments and thoughts, Walter!
I may just take up your suggestion and contact the Museum and see what they think. 🙂

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom