Martha and Andrew (E-session)

Discussion in 'People' started by Taylor, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    My first paid engagement session, for a classmate and her fiance. They're high school sweethearts from Newfoundland, Canada.

Since I'm busy with some other stuff right now, I only edited 4 photos that I liked right away. The rest will have to wait until I get back from Europe.

2727282420_15ab1e0318_b.png

2726459661_6b44167c9f_b.png

View attachment 233534

View attachment 233535

Very little post-processing done. Only some colour correction and curves. I love shooting backlit portraits, and if you nail the exposure you don't need to fix it up much. Lenses used were the 200/2 and 85/1.4 @f2.

2. I really like the first one but a bit more sharpening might be called for. You handled the lighting well with this shot and managed to capture the tender feeling the couple has for each other. The back lit images are a little overpowering for my tastes although I do compliment you for handling the flash well. I try to find a spot where the sun is partially obscured by an object (hill, tree, etc.) behind the subject so as not to overpower them. Still you have much to be complimented for with these images.

3. i will let gordon speak to the technical aspects of your shoot...
    his knowledge and experience are GOLDEN (i learn from him every day)
    they do seem, however, a bit soft
    while i LOVE your candid style of shooting (it is what pushed me over the edge to buy the 200/2, as you know)
    wedding shoots usually call for a sharper image
    folks will be blowing these up much larger... and looking at them with a much more critical eye

these folks surely look IN LOVE... and, that is a beautiful thing in any wedding shoot
    you really seem to know how to bring out these natural "looks" in your subjects...
    i hope that you will continue with that "magic"

well done

4. Taylor

Taylor

May 21, 2007
    Toronto, ON
    Thanks for your critique Gord! I haven't tried printing them out to 8x10 size yet but I suspect the will be a little bit sharper than what appears here because these are auto-resized JPGs from larger files that I uploaded to Flickr. Some sharpness in the full-size is usually lost in the resizing. And I haven't done any actual sharpening to the file, but I'll definitely sharpen it before printing.

As for the back-light, I didn't use a flash or any kind of fill, it's all available light. I thought the sun flare would be interesting, but it probably is a bit too overpowering. I have other poses that have less flare, and it's good to hear someone else's opinion on it.

Thanks Greg, I had a lot more time to work with them than the wedding I did earlier in the summer (will edit those photos later). It's been hard trying to learn how to pose people in more natural ways... I generally hate the "looking straight at the camera and smiling" poses, but that's usually what I'll start off with and then slowly work in some more dynamic poses later.

5. 2 and 4 are priceless, they seem lost in each other. Like them, I will leave any technical crit to those in the know! :)

Gary.