Maryland Cicada in 10-Frame Focus Stack

Real Name
Walter Rowe
This is a 10-frame focus stack merge from the Nikon Z 7 w/ Nikkor Z 70-200/2.8 S + Nikkor Z 1.4x Teleconverter.

Focal Length: 280mm
Aperture: f/11.0
Shutter: 1/8s
ISO: 500

The 10 raw files were capture at step size 1 in silent shutter mode.
The NEF raw files were processed to 16-bit Adobe RGB TIFFs in Capture One 21.
The TIFFs were Focus Merged to a single TIFF in Affinity Photo.
The single merged TIFF was converted to JPG in Capture One 21.

WPR-20210520-3905-14.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

WOW! A beautiful capture in nature of the cicada just after it has shed its exoskeleton. Terrific job, Walter!

Notice that the color of the cicada is beige. That's because it is so relatively young. Very soon the body color will be mostly black and even the antennae will be black. I wonder if the beak, which can't be seen in this photo, is the same light color in this state as the antennae.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Did you have any issues with the cicada and its exoskeleton moving while you were capturing the focus-bracketed images?
I took two different sequences. I checked the first sequence in camera and could see movement. I took a second sequence. The first didn't merge very well - ghosting. The second sequence I had good fortune that it remained perfectly still.

Real Name
Walter Rowe
WOW! A beautiful capture in nature of the cicada just after it has shed its exoskeleton. Terrific job, Walter!

Notice that the color of the cicada is beige. That's because it is so relatively young. Very soon the body color will be mostly black and even the antennae will be black. I wonder if the beak, which can't be seen in this photo, is the same light color in this state as the antennae.
Thanks Mike!

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Great find and capture, Walter! Amazing you were able to merge these.

Can you post a single, unstacked photo with the eye in focus for comparison and our education?
Sure. Here is the first frame from the sequence.

WPR-20210520-3905.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Real Name
Walter Rowe
Just out of curiosity, Walter, do you keep all of the images used to make the stack? I ask because I never do; I prefer to keep only the final, stacked image.
I'm a bit of an image horder so yes I keep the original raw files, but not the intermediate TIFFs. I am considering disposing of the original raw files to save space.

Nice work, Walter. This is a very interesting image.

Glenn
Thanks Glenn!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom