Maryland Madness (UMD Basketball)

Discussion in 'Photojournalism, Candids and Street Photography' started by mf44, Oct 15, 2005.

1. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Maryland has traditionally run it's first basketball practice on midnight of the day the NCAA first allows practices. Soon the practice was transformed into a major event and became known as Midnight Madness. This year, however, the NCAA allowed practices earlier and the time was moved up. Maryland Madness was born. A sort of pep - rally, it is always fun to attend.

Fans pack the stands of Comast Center in College Park, MD for Maryland Madness:

[​IMG]

Terrapin Dance Team:

[​IMG]

The UMD Cheerleaders:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

UMD basketball player Chris McCray watches the dance show from deep under the stands:

[​IMG]

Maryland Gymkana Team and The Ring of Fire:

[​IMG]

The women's team being introduced:

[​IMG]

The men's team introduction featured dunks from each player:

[​IMG]

Men's Coach Gary Williams waves to fans:

[​IMG]

The thirty minute practice scrimmage had plenty of action:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Fans leaving Comcast:

[​IMG]

Any comments welcome. Hope I didn't scare everyone off with the amount of photos. The gallery is here:

http://mf44.smugmug.com/gallery/885864/1

2. WOW
    Great captures were you wired into the venues strobes , just curious, they look real well composed and very clean shots. Thanks for sharing

3. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Thanks for the comments. No I wasn't wired into any strobes. All those I've included here I shot with a D2x at either ISO 800 or HI-1. We're working on getting a set of strobes installed along with some remote cameras, but that won't happen for awhile. Comcast isn't like some of the bigger pro venues like Madison Square Garden where you just pay to get access to strobes. If you want them, you need to buy them and install them yourself. I'm sure they'll limit this in the future, but right now I've got to push to get some strobes purchased.

Edit: It is a plus that since this place is almost brand new, the lighting is fabulous, so it's (obviously) not too hard to get good shots without strobes. I haven't been to a ton of university basketball arenas, but of those that I have shot at, this takes the cake. Press accomodations, lighting, access is all at the pro level.

4. Wow, what a wonderful series.

5. Mike thanks for the info sorry for all the questiosn but what if any NR software did you use in the PP of these shots they are very clean

6. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    No NR software was used. Took the JPG from the camera, applied some USM and maybe adjusted the curve slightly and then just resized it using bicubic sharper.

7. BLV

BLV

Jul 14, 2005
    NYC
    Very cool shots. I was accepted at UMD and boy, is everyone careeezeeee about 'em Terps :biggrin: Do you shoot in Balto a lot? Would love to see more.

8. awesome!

Great Shots!!! Can't wait to see more of your work as the season begins! What employer gets to print those great shots?!

9. jjdesanto1

jjdesanto1

May 1, 2005
    Warwick, N.Y.
    John DeSanto
    Great shots

Absolutely wonderful series, Mike.

You captured the feel of the event perfectly. Any publication would be happy to print these photos.

10. mf44

mf44

Jun 4, 2005
    NJ & MD
    Hi guys,

Thanks for all the compliments. Elena, I think I've only been on assignment once or twice in Baltimore. I love the inner harbor, though, so I really need to get out there more.

Brian, I shoot for the Maryland Diamondback (the independent daily school paper). In past summers I have worked for various daily and weekly papers as well as ABC News.

Again, thanks for all the comments.

11. mike awesome series and great job!