Masai Children

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by john deakin, Dec 6, 2017 at 6:20 AM.

1. During our recent trip to Kenya we spent a few hours at a Masai village. The Masai people are welcoming and warm, very friendly and it was a real pleasure to meet with them and their children. Whilst they remain living in traditional huts and entertain visitors to the area with their traditional dancing in Masai dress, they are now almost fully dependent on tourism, a point the head of this village made clear to us when we sat with him in his small and very dark house whist he educated my wife and I on their past and current way of life.

The children sit in westernised clothes donated to them by visitors.

I liked this frame in mono.

1500 JDP logo bw masai children_DSC0242 copy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Excellent image of these children. Sad to see them so tattered and dirty.

3. Really nice shot.

Cheers,
    alexis and Georgie Beagle

4. That's a great shot! Actually it's 3 shots in 1!
    As shot is a complete story.
    Crop it to show the faces looking out of the frame--such a sense of tension and mystery!
    Crop it t just the feet--another great story.

Well done John.

5. Bart

Bart

Sep 20, 2009
    A stunning image, John!
    Excellent processing as well!

6. Binnur

Binnur

Oct 4, 2017
    Izmir / Turkey
    Very nice image and PP work.

7. Thank you. Even in their tattered and dirty state they seem to be able to smile more than most western kids that have it all and still want more.

Many thanks :)

Thank you.

Thank you, Mick, appreciated.

Bart, thanks muchly.

Thank you, Binnur.

I lived in South Africa for 12 years, from 2000 - 2012, and spent lots of time within rural townships. I always returned from the townships very thankful for what I have, but also very aware that we take for granted far too many of the luxuries we expect in our lives. I have little time for those who have so much and still moan about not having enough...... we can learn so much from these people but we usually insist that they need our help and pity, when often it is the opposite ..... Have a great day everyone and thank you for all your kind comments.

8. This image so draws me into the eyes and expressions. I think the b&w is perfect. Also, after reading Nick's comment I isolated the feet and agree with him totally. They are their own story. Just a stunning image all around!

9. Many thanks, Dossy, appreciated.