Masking Question

I have a four mast sailboat photo with a background I want to change. Photoshop and Topaz Mask AI do a good job getting rid of the background, except for the mast ropes. They blend into the background too much for a good selection.
Does anyone know of a technique to mask thin wires or ropes? Perhaps
_DSC8626-Edit copy.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
_DSC8626-Edit copy.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
something using the curved pen tool, but I am a novice at using this tool.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
I had exactly this problem a few years ago. I don't think it is possible to mask them, the thin pale ones are just impossible.
But I did find a workaround.
1. Forget about them initially and apply the new background, using the mask.
2. Lower the opacity of the resulting layer so you can see exactly where the ropes are, on the original layer below.
3. Zoom right in and work along the ropes, editing the mask so that they show through. They may be just a few pixels wide so work carefully, don't let the old sky through.
4. Set the opacity back to normal.
It took me a very long time but it worked.

Whatever masking method you use, I would do it when viewing the image at at least 100%. One way I would consider would be erasing everything around the ropes using a very hard brush. The other way would be to use Photoshop CC's Select and Mask button. The various parameters are designed for different purposes, so it's best to view an effective tutorial about how to use it. I would probably try the first method first. Whatever method you choose, it will be a painstaking process.

Real Name
Andy
Perhaps you could first use a range or color mask in Lightroom to make the lines more pronounced, then they would be more distinct when you move to Photoshop. Might or might not work, but it won't cost you much time to try it.

Try using the "Blend if" Function:
Put a copy of the layer containing the ship above your new sky and set the sliders so that only the darkest tones in the ship blend over the sky. (Make a Layer Mask and paint with black to mask out any areas where you don't want any blending to occur).

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom