Mason District Park, Annandale VA

Hey Bill - I played many basketball games and a few softball games at Mason District having grown up in Falls Church and living in Annandale after college. I really don't recall the wilderness area there but this is a strong capture. And interesting information from you and Mike on the conversion. Well done.
John

Real Name
Bill Walderman
Hey Bill - I played many basketball games and a few softball games at Mason District having grown up in Falls Church and living in Annandale after college. I really don't recall the wilderness area there but this is a strong capture. And interesting information from you and Mike on the conversion. Well done.
John
Hi, John! I wouldn't call the slope above the playing fields a wilderness area, but it's wooded and has some nice trails. I'm not sure whether it was there when you were in the area, but there's now a dog park on the crest of the hill, which is accessible from Little River Turnpike. I took the photo on Monday as I walked up to the dog park with my dog, having parked by the playing fields off of Columbia Pike instead of on the Little River Turnpike side. Last year some utility work was done on Turkeycock Run, the stream that runs through the park, and the area is now undergoing regrowth. It makes for quite an attractive landscape in certain places with the right light.

Mason District Park isn't huge. It doesn't offer breathtaking vistas: it's really just an ordinary suburban park. But as an older photographer with some physical limitations, my philosophy, if you can call it that, is to try to find satisfying images in my immediate everyday environment.

The way I use silver efex is to open the raw image (DxO DNG output) as a smart object in PS from LR.
The result comes back from PS, with Save, in the collection I'm working from in LR.
So, I do use the catalog in LR but have also the advantage of a smart object that I can revisit through PS.

Thanks again, Mike. I'll give your suggestion to use ACR a try. My current workflow is perhaps not as bad as I suggested, since LR has an option to transfer a file directly to PS in DMG format once editing in LR has been completed. I would like to learn to use PS a little, though.
The thought occurred to me, Bill, that if you are using Lightroom's cataloging capabilities, it might make more sense for you to stick with that product rather than switch to Adobe Camera Raw. One big reason I rarely use Lightroom is because I don't need its cataloging capability. (I use Lightroom only for its Book module and even that gets used so rarely that every time I use it I have to relearn how to use it.)

First I have to figure out what a Smart Object is!
My notes when I first learned how do this stuff are shown below. Note that the notes pertain to a workflow that begins with ACR and is then handed off to Photoshop CC. Once I'm done, I save the image file as a PSD file. The details seem a bit daunting at first, but once you do it a few times you'll no longer need the notes.

Saving ACR adjustments in a PSD file
Immediately after opening a NEF in Photoshop that has already been edited in ACR:
  1. File menu >> Place embedded... >> Select the image file to be embedded in the PSD file >> Place >> The image will be opened in ACR >> OK
  2. Wait for the progress indicator to appear and for the process to complete. The image will be displayed in Photoshop with an “X” on it. Click the Checkmark icon located at the top of the window.​
  3. The new layer indicating the name of the embedded file will be displayed. (That's the Smart Object.) The new layer's thumbnail will also now display an image in its bottom corner indicating that the layer can now be reopened in ACR with all of the settings displayed.​
  4. To reopen the image in ACR, double click that layer's thumbnail. Wait, as reopening the image in ACR takes time.​

Last edited:
Looks to be simpler from LR: right click on your image file, choose Edit in and Open as smart object in PS:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

In PS, you select the filter you want, Silver efex for instance.

Looks to be simpler from LR: right click on your image file, choose Edit in and Open as smart object in PS:
That actually makes me wonder if there is an easier way to generate the Smart Object from within PhotoShop than the way I described. I learned it that way and have never looked to determine if there is an easier way.

Now that I think about it, the same workflow you mention going from Lightroom to a Smart Object in PhotoShop might be available when going from Adobe Camera Raw. I don't know if I ever tried to do that; I might have only tried to create the Smart Object once I had already handed off the NEF from Adobe Camera Raw to Photoshop. I look forward to looking for that possibility once I have access to my computer I use for post-processing, which will be another week.

Last edited:
If you click on Open image in ACR, the file is opened in PS and there, under Filter, you have the option "convert for smart filters".
This is followed by a message "To enable re-editable smart filters, the selected layer will be converted into a smart object" and so it is.
The message can be inactivated.
In this case, the selected layer is the Background but you can do this on any selected layer.

That actually makes me wonder if there is an easier way to generate the Smart Object from within PhotoShop than the way I described. I learned it that way and have never looked to determine if there is an easier way.

Now that I think about it, the same workflow you mention going from Lightroom to a Smart Object in PhotoShop might be available when going from Adobe Camera Raw. I don't know if I ever tried to do that; I might have only tried to create the Smart Object once I had already handed off the NEF from Adobe Camera Raw to Photoshop. I look forward to looking for that possibility once I have access to my computer I use for post-processing, which will be another week.

If you click on Open image in ACR, the file is opened in PS and there, under Filter, you have the option "convert for smart filters".
This is followed by a message "To enable re-editable smart filters, the selected layer will be converted into a smart object" and so it is.
In this case, the selected layer is the Background but you can do this on any selected layer.
If I understand you correctly, that's easier than the method I've been using. I look forward to trying it out once I have access to the pertinent computer again. Thanks!

When I use that method and then click the small thumbnail inside the larger thumbnail, access to the ACR adjustments is not provided. The method I used, though it requires a couple more clicks, provides access to the ACR adjustments. Having access to those adjustments in case they need to be tweaked after opening the image in Photoshop is, I believe, the OP's desire and certainly is mine.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding something.

Last edited:
You can use Camera Raw as a smart filter as well, Mike. It's one of the available filters.
I don't know if that would be what you are looking for.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

You can use Camera Raw as a smart filter as well, Mike. It's one of the available filters.
I don't know if that would be what you are looking for.
That's helpful for informational purposes, as I think I now understand the choices and when to make a particular choice.

My method of using "Place Embedded" makes it possible to return at any time to the ACR settings that were made before handing off the image file to Photoshop and to tweak them. The changes will be displayed in all layers that were created above the Smart Object before I tweaked the ACR adjustments. That's because the upper layers are reading the Smart Object.

That last method you explained makes it possible to make adjustments using ACR from within Photoshop and to return at any time from the point that Smart Filter was made going forward to change those settings. The changes will be displayed in all layers that were created above the Smart Object before I tweaked the ACR adjustments. Again, that's because the upper layers are reading the Smart Object.

A third method is to use ACR as a dumb filter from within Photoshop simply by loading the ACR filter. I do that when I'm not sure how to make a particular change in Photoshop but know how to do it in ACR. If you then create more layers above it, return to the ACR dumb filter and change the settings, they will NOT be displayed in the upper layers. That's because the upper layers are not reading the dumb ACR filter.

I hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom