Mastodons in the wild

Discussion in 'Landscapes, Architecture, and Cityscapes' started by F15Todd, Jun 23, 2005.

1. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I'm not sure what this is all about, but Fort Wayne, Indiana has Mastodon
    displays all over. Someone told me there are more then 100
    spread over the city. Maybe Steve S. will have some insight to them.

Camera Mastodon in Diaper

Mastodon Airlines
    View attachment 10931

Slinky-don
    View attachment 10932

Mastodon Working (Monica and Bailey)
    View attachment 10933

Mastodon Road Work

2. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    That first one with the diaper on made me chuckle!

Reminded me of a town here in the UK called Milton Keynes - famous for its concrete cows. :?

And I was in Rochester, NY a couple of years ago and they had all sorts of horses in the malls - thought I'd had too much coffee..... :shock:

3. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    I know it well, we just moved from Bury St. Edmunds.

4. Jez

Jez

Jun 22, 2005
    UK
    Ah! Hence the "5000 mile move"! So did you get any photos of the cows as well? I've been to MK many times in but I've never actually seen one myself.

Perhaps they were hiding.....

5. Steve S

Steve S

Feb 1, 2005
    SE Florida
    The Mastadons are the name of our IPFW college teams

Indiana/Purdue Fort Wayne's college athletic teams are all called Mastadons. I took about 50 pics of these things a few wks ago. There was a contest to decorate them, and ya, they're scattered all over town.

6. F15Todd

F15Todd

Feb 1, 2005
    Tennessee
    Here is what I found in the paper. What started as a plan to place 40 individualized replicas of the Indiana University-Purdue University Fort Wayne mascot around the community in celebration of IPFW's 40th anniversary turned into a stampede as local institutions came forward to sponsor 102 mastodons.

The mastodons will be auctioned off with proceeds going to the United Way.[/b]

7. Very cool , a few years back when I was in Toronto they had hundreds of Mooses all over the city it was so much fun capturing all of them

8. Todd,

My daughter attended Purdue in West Lafayette. During our visit for her graduation 2 years ago, the West Lafayette had a similar display but at that time they were cows.

I know I have pictures on a CD at home. I'll try to find it and post one of them.

Steve

9. Cory Cooper

Cory Cooper

May 24, 2005
    Salem, NH
    There are strange things like that all over the USA...Don't forget about Dublin, OH's Cornhenge:

Field of Corn in Concrete, Dublin, Roadside America

Dublin, OH is the home of Wendy's and Muirfield Villiage (The Memorial Tournament). Locals dubbed the Field of Corn, Cornhenge. More appropriate, wouldn't you say? I used to drive by there every day on my way to work.

;)

C

10. patrickh

patrickh

May 4, 2005
    Thousand Oaks
    I believe this whole move was started by the famous cows in New York several years ago. They were riotous and very much of the same genre as the Mastodons. Mostly done by famous artists.

11. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    Yep, in Jacksonville, FL near Jacksonville Landing (where Patrick and I nearly got mugged at about 10am) they have a bunch of Manatees decorated like that....one of them looks like Elvis....it's a hoot...we were high-tailing it out of there, otherwise I'd have snapped a picture of it.

Great shots, Todd. Bailey is growing up so fast! What a cutie!

12. Todd,

Found one of the pigs that decorated downtown West Lafayette when my daughter graduated. I also seem to remember one year when I was in Chicago for a trade show that the town had a similar series of cows lining the streets.

Here's the Boilermakers Pig.

Steve
    [​IMG]