1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Matte, Lustre, or Glossy finish to YOUR prints: which do YOU prefer?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by spalding12, Aug 17, 2008.

1. which shows of YOUR work best... and, therefore would SELL better?
    would you give a different answer for pictures of people vs. things or places?

thanks so much for you help

i ask because smugmug has 3 choices
    glossy
    matte
    lustre

thanks, as always, in advance

2. AEDigman

AEDigman

Jan 23, 2007
    West Virginia
    For much of what I print, I prefer lustre...however, for the 4X6's that I use for greeting cards, my preference is glossy...makes the 'pop'....

3. thanks for your reply, alan
    i really appreciate it

4. I use lustre for everything. I can't get past the *cheap* look of glossy.

5. Another vote for Lustre, I used to be a fan of glossy but once you see lustre you will not want to go back. It might be a bit more expensive, but it will really make your photos stand out. I have used matte also but it was more the preference of the person I was doing the photo for.

6. i tend to agree about the glossy
    i guess i just need to spend more time looking at lustre vs. matte

7. I print 80% on satin matte - which to SmugMug is lustre.

8. I am a luster fan and customers when given a choice always choose that as well. Certain large prints look great on canvas but it is pretty pricey.

9. I LOVE large prints on canvas....I have 3 of my girls, and I'm sure I'll have more as they get older. Canvas is amazing when you have a *wow* photograph that screams to be printed big. I have a canvas of Sophie that's 24x36.

10. I used to be a glossy fan, but have migrated to lustre/matte.

I remember being told that glossy really makes color pop, and is better suited to photos where color is the subject (i.e. sunsets), and matte for people / detail shots.

11. ooooo
    now i see why i didn't know the difference between lustre and matte
    thanks, david

12. thanks, everyone, for your words of wisdom
    i really appreciate it

13. LindaZ

LindaZ

Jul 29, 2007
    Wilmington, NC
    LUSTRE! Love it.

14. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    lustre for sure

matte looks like it was printed on canvas fabric and glossy looks like a mirror, IMO

15. DanWhite

DanWhite

Jul 10, 2005
    Lansdale PA
    Luster for me also, I also love canvas I have ones of my family (wife daughter and 2 sons) all printed on canvas I love them

16. AEDigman

AEDigman

Jan 23, 2007
    West Virginia
    Hi Greg -

You're welcome.

17. Connahhh

Connahhh

Oct 27, 2007
    NH
    I've only printed matte and glossy. I liked the glossy better. I'll try lustre, though.

18. Greg -

I've been very happy printing 13 x 19 landscapes on Arctic Polar Satin from Red River Paper. It's analogous to others' luster.

Eric

19. Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

May 16, 2006
    Oregon
    Luster is my choice for color 8x10 prints, glossy for most of my Black and white (although luster also does good B&W) Matt for test prints large and then Velvet (somerset or epson) for large prints....love the water color surface (expensive as heck).

I'd order one of each of the choices before I made a large order.

20. that is a great piece of advice, for sure

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.