1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Matting & Frame size

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PiotrC70, Oct 5, 2008.

1. PiotrC70

PiotrC70

Sep 18, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I was curious if there is a particular ratio or matte size vs picture size or if it's personal preference. I'm at the point of wanting to develop, frame/matte my pictures through pictureframes.com and am REALLY torn as to what size my matting should be for a particular size print, especially pan's.

Any input is appreciated.

2. AgilityIG

AgilityIG

May 13, 2008
    Iowa
    I have always taken the easy way out by printing my photos in a standard size and just matting up to the next standard size. So an 8x10 would be matted out to an 11x14. Not sure about a pano.

Otherwise, if I have a odd sized print, I have left it up to the framer and they have always done a very nice job (probably just lucky there!).

3. PiotrC70

PiotrC70

Sep 18, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the input. I guess that's where my dilema has always been, how much matting is acceptable. I've seen "gallery prints" where the picture is for example a 6x6 but there is 8" of matting not to mention the 2" wood frame.

I guess it all depends on the look one is going for.

Thanks again.

4. Gray Fox

Gray Fox

Jan 12, 2007
    London Ontario
    In a number of competitions such as at camera clubs and large rural fairs a common practice is to use a mat board 16" x 20" and mount pictures not less than 8" x 10" or up to 16" x 20". There is no "rule that you must follow" for anything other than these competitions. Extensive exposure to these exhibits have made this seem "right" because that is what people often see.

As photographers we see much more than non artistic types. If it works for you, it works. Experiment, you will find a whole new world of satisfaction.

As a starting point, you might try leaving a one or two inch border around your photographs, perhaps slightly more along the bottom, whatever looks proportionally right to you.

One or two good basic framing books will help you in your quest. "Home Book of Picture Farming 2nd Edition" by Kenn Oberrecht is one that was helpful to me.

Have fun, life is too short to be stifled by too many "rules".

5. size

Hi Peter,

I don't know much mat sizes but AmericanFrame has a web site with helpful
    tips and ideas. I have ordered frames and mats from them for the few pictures I felt were worthy of framing. In addition to their tips you can chosse frames and mats and upload your own photo to see how they will look together.

Good luck,
    Dave

6. I have always printed 8x10's and mounting in 11x14 frames

7. I like to make 11 by 15 prints and put them in 16 by 20 frames - thus the mat board is 2.5 inches on all sides.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.