Maui: The Road to Hana

Real Name
Andy
The Hana Highway is an iconic scenic drive that I have been meaning to do for years. Yesterday, I had a long enough layover on Maui to rent a car and finally add this to my experiences. Sadly, the Seven Sacred Pools (which are the "destination") were not accessible due to emergency conditions. So, I turned around and headed back, stopping at three of the waterfalls for some quick consolation prizes. In truth, making photographs was the plan, but experiencing these views and numerous others from a convertible with the top down was truly worthwhile.

1. Wailua Falls
Maui_21D_7242.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2. Pua'a Ka'a Falls
Maui_21D_7268-Edit.jpg

3. Upper Waikani Falls
Maui_21D_7276.jpg

Last edited:

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Boy! You really get around, don't you? !!!! :p

Do you have #1 in color? #2 and 3 are lovely. Cropping #3 just above the brighter green tree on the left would make a nice print.

I enjoyed the drive to Hana. We also stopped at the Waianapanapa State Park and enjoyed walking along the lava shore line.

Real Name
Andy
Do you have #1 in color?
Yes, it has a bit of a rainbow, but otherwise looked pretty bland, so I tried a B&W conversion, which also looked a bit boring.
Maui_21D_7242-2.jpg

We also stopped at the Waianapanapa State Park
I stopped there as well, but they were requiring a reservation or a State of Hawai'i ID for entry.

Real Name
Andy
Cropping #3 just above the brighter green tree on the left would make a nice print.
I revisited this image (originally posted SOOC) to clone out the stray plant in the foreground and cropped to square. Certainly good enough for my Instagram feed, I think. Thanks for the suggestion.
Maui_21D_7276-Edit.jpg

I like the square format better as well. We have a plan to go to the Big Island early next year for a conference but we'll see if they actually hold it or go virtual. This is kind of a virtual trip to Hawaii . . . :)

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I revisited this image (originally posted SOOC) to clone out the stray plant in the foreground and cropped to square. Certainly good enough for my Instagram feed, I think. Thanks for the suggestion.
View attachment 1689484
Excellent! Justin and I were married on the beach at sunset in Maui - in 1990!!!! I thought he would take me back each anniversary (or at least every 5th or 10th....)......NOT! :p

Nice images. My wife and I were in Maui September 9th through the 16th for a friend’s wedding. My daughter was the Maid of Honor. She and Her boyfriend asked us if we wanted to make the Road to Hanna drive with them on the 14th or 15th but we had other plans. She was able to see the Seven Sacred Pools but wasn’t able to swim in them due to danger of flash floods. I wonder what might have happened in a few days to close them completely? We did have one day that rained quite a bit.

Real Name
Andy
I heard that the Pools of ‘Oheʻo (that's what the Seven Sacred Pools are officially called) have been intermittently open and closed fo some time for safety reasons. According to the locals, one just goes out there and hopes for the best, because the National Park Service doesn't necessarily keep the status up to date online. The closed gate to the parking lot displayed a fixed sign with the hours 9:00 am to 5:00 pm, but there was also a temporary sign stating that the pools were closed due to emergency conditions.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom