Mauritius - Part I

Luckily my wife works for Emirates Airlines which means we have access to cheap flights. This has opened up lots of opportunity for travels and the ability to dip into places which, if we were still living in the UK, would involve a much longer and more expensive vacation.

Mauritius was always on our list of places to visit, and it is a stunning location. For those that are unsure, it's a small tear shaped island in the Indian Ocean, due east from Madagascar.

We were lucky enough to stay in The Grand Mauritian, a Westin Exclusive hotel on the west coast (got to love those industry deals!)

While on the island we did the usual thing of hiring a car to explore and get a little more off the beaten track. As it was our wedding anniversary my wife wanted a spa day so what's a man to do - book a microlight seaplane flight around the east coast of the island, that's what!

Here are Part II and Part III.

Here are a few shots to give an idea of what the island's like:

1 - On board a catamaran cruising up the east coast

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

2 - The more rugged south west coast, at Albion

3 - Trou aux Biches on the west coast

4 - Cap Malheureux Church on the north coast

5 - Iles aux Cerfs beach, with the background being shown in the aerial shot number 16

6 - Cap Malheureux beach

7 - The Grand Mauritian

8 - The Grand Mauritian

9 - A local fishing for lunch at the beach

10 - A squall coming in at Turtle Bay, west coast

11 - Grand Gaube beach on the north coast

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Phil. Another amazing series, you surely have the eye for compositions and your exposure is spot on. Thanks for sharing.

amazingly beautiful! If any photos could make me wish I had the $$ to go there, yours certainly did! I think this whole series would be a good selling tool for vacations there! Thanks for the awesome tour and congrats on your anniversary!

Nice photos, especially the shots from the air. Were you able to scuba dive to see the wildlife underwater?

JusPlainCrayzee

Administrator
Administrator
Now that's what I call a vacation!

I've seen all three parts of this series, and your images are wonderful.

Tell me, is there any place in the world you haven't gone???

Now that's what I call a vacation!

I've seen all three parts of this series, and your images are wonderful.

Tell me, is there any place in the world you haven't gone???
Hi JusPlainCrayzee

Unfortunately we've had to cancel Bali, Java and Langkawi last year due to work commitments, but we're due to go to Kenya and Mumbai later this year.

Give me 2 weeks in Tuscany and I'll be a happy man though! Italy's my ultimate favourite, but I haven't travelled with a DSLR yet. I'd also like to relive a couple of US road trips that we've previously done through Napa, Lake Tahoe, Yosemite, Mammothc Lakes, Mono Lake, Death Valley, Vegas and the Grand Canyon. I doubt my wife would see much of me though!

JusPlainCrayzee

Administrator
Administrator
Ohhhh...we need to chat, then!! :tongue:

I'll be in Italy for three weeks in September. A group of us rented a villa in Tuscany/Umbria (Chiusi, actually), and we plan to do trips from that point (Florence, Rome...etc...and I don't know about the others, but I'm going to Pompeii...). I can't wait to get there, as I've heard Tuscany is just beautiful...

Also, I've been to Bali a few times - fabulous place...FABULOUS!!! If you have the opportunity to go, I recommend it highly...

Ohhhh...we need to chat, then!! :tongue:

I'll be in Italy for three weeks in September. A group of us rented a villa in Tuscany/Umbria (Chiusi, actually), and we plan to do trips from that point (Florence, Rome...etc...and I don't know about the others, but I'm going to Pompeii...). I can't wait to get there, as I've heard Tuscany is just beautiful...

Also, I've been to Bali a few times - fabulous place...FABULOUS!!! If you have the opportunity to go, I recommend it highly...
PM me if you'd like a heads up - I've been a fair few times to the area and know some nice places to visit. Three weeks - I'm very jealous!

Very off topic, lyndee, but check this out!

It's off the beaten track from Tuscany but may be worth an overnight and visit:

http://www.palio.asti.it/welcome.shtml - check out the info and photo galleries

You've probably heard of the famous Palio horse race in Siena - well this is the original and oldest in Italy, in Asti in the north (Piedmonte)

I stumbled across it while researching our last trip to Italy in 2008, and made sure to visit. Basically it's a whole day's festival with medieval fancy dress, processions, horse races, flag throwing, the lot!

It's well and truly off the tourist radar and it felt as if we were gate crashing a private party for the whole town and region - incredible. I'm going back with a camera for sure.

Sure, Asti isn't as pretty as Siena (quite far from it, actually) but for the pomp it is great to see. Also, an overnight in the Barolo region ain't bad if you like a drop of the red grape juice (Barolo, Barbaresco, Nebbiolo, Dolcetto, Barbara D'Alba and Barbara D'Asti wines are all produced in the region) - if you're interested I know of a great bed and breakfast in Dogliani which is 45 minutes away - a private noble house with barn conversion sitting on top of a winery, which was the family home of the first president of Italy - for 80 Euro a night so reasonable value too.

Don't miss San Gimignano. It's a beautiful little hill town near Siena. It has gotten rather "touristy" since I first visited there about 30 years ago, but it's still charming. Try to be there in the evening after the tour buses leave.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom