maximum dpi for display

We're asking for images for our web site and are wondering what the minimum and maximum dpi should be.
We'll be displaying on all platforms (phones, tablets and browsers on monitors).
I'm guessing that there are a lot of variables (an old phone vs a new, 30 inch ISP monitor would be very different) but there are conventions that developed based on current capabilities.
These images do need as much detail as is possible....they are not icons or thumbnails....

I note that the new Samsung Galaxy s7 has a screen density of 576 ppi.
I recently created jpegs of a relatively detailed RAW image I took and I couldn't see any real difference between 200 dpi and 100 dpi versions on my 24" HP DreamColor Z24x monitor

The number of ppi is irrelevant. What's important is the total number of pixels in the picture. If you want to make the most of a 4k monitor you need an image 3840x2160 pixels Many people are viewing on laptops with screens only 1366x768 pixels. Phones and tablets are all over the place.

I don't have any experience with developing web sites so don't know what storage costs will be and I don't know what type of web site and pictures you want to display so can't comment from a viewer perspective.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom