May 13, Tabletop Flowers

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by ednaz, May 14, 2005.

1. More messing with the D2x, the SB800, and late evening skies for a background. If I get the flash at just the right angle, I can "outline" a flower with white along one edge and black along the other, and give it a "pop" without resorting to photoshop tricks.

The biggest pain is dealing with CS2 not knowing what the "as shot" white balance is. Last night I processed some images in both CS2 and Capture, and I think CS2 did a much better job, particularly in details. Capture had an awful time dealing with the effect I mentioned - it tended to exaggerate the light and dark halos, no amount of fiddling could make it go away. And as before, I like CS2s rendition of "daylight" and "flash" a lot better than Capture - I can with one click get to where it takes 4 or 5 clicks and adjustments in Capture.

That said, the way the D2x handles color is different than the d100 I have, enough that I get occasional misses in my sky color when using foreground balanced flash, like in shots 3 and 4. Going to take some time. Fixable in photoshop, for certain, but I prefer "getting it right in the negative."

In the last two pansy shots - I'm usually incredibly bothered by the presence of pollen on a flower. But there's too much to spot out (I will sometimes spot out random grains of pollen on a "perfect" flower.) And something about the picture appeals. Or do you just see a dirty flower?

These are pretty much straight out of the camera, with a one click curve or levels adjustment.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. What a fun series of closeups these are. Good captures Ednaz.

3. Leigh

Leigh

Feb 19, 2005
    Alabama
    I second Gordon's post....those are good close-ups. The color is the second one is really nice.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Beautiful colors. Nice shots

Thank you for sharing the beauty

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice Ed. I haven't used CS2, but I have used a technique in NC that sometimes helps with halos and other 'problem' shots.

I reduce the contrast setting by as much as -3 on the Color Balance tool. This seems to help in some cases.