maybe $4 for a 4x6 is still to expensive

Discussion in 'Sports Photography' started by Randy, Mar 23, 2007.

1. this is from here:
    http://www.nc-soccer.net/forum/viewthread.php?tid=14899

The $1 comment is my fav

3 separate posts:

$4.00 for a 4x6
    I hope you get it... The main thing that erks me about these new found digital photographers is they have the nerve to charge $4 for a 4x6 and not give the parent buying the photo the actual digital image of their child...

Well, you don't have to be mean about it! But anyway, the first photographer that is willing to part with the digitals for $1 a piece at a decent size is going to make a fortune.

My bad - it just erks me... don't charge me $4-$5 for a freaking 4x6... you might get close to that price if you include the gigital image...

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yeah those "GIGITAL" images
    You crook. :>)))

Ohhhh boy thats tough Randy.
    Maybe they should pay a few thousand dollars and get crappy shots and then they will understand.

Really sorry to hear this for you.
    Move on to some nice folks.

I should go over there and post a 150.00 surf kite shot...lolololol

3. thx Gale
    at 1st it made me mad and then i realized they just don't know what they are talking about so my replies were nice (I sell alot of pics thru that site since the site attracts parents who frequent the internet, and some strange ones as well)....it's a shame people like that get to view the pics for free :smile:

my new plan to be a millionaire is to chg $1 for jpgs...

4. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Wow.....interesting comments. For $1 per image, if they only knew how much this camera equipment and editing software costs....not to mention the time to shoot, to edit and to deliver the finished image. Maybe we could bump the price from a $1 to $1.25. :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface: :redface:

5. icetraxx

icetraxx

May 7, 2005
    Louisiana
    I thought that I was being cheap. I charge $5.50 for a 3x5 and $8 for a 5x7 and $12 for the digital picture. Granted I have sold some but not a lot maybe that is why. I have been rethinking my pricing though

You do have your understanding parents and then you have some that want something for nothing. I've had parents print pictures that have proof on them and display them in their house. Even some comment how hard it is to remove the way I watermarked the files.

Larry

6. Maybe they could relate to this.

Drive to my house, bring all your own ingredients, spend 3-4 hours baking brownies,
    take them back home and decorate them, then deliver them to me for $1 each.
    Oh, and include the secret recipe with each brownie.

Maybe they'll start to get it.

Don

7. the extra qtr would cut the time to becoming a millionaire by 25%, great idea :smile:

i wonder if they know gas no longer costs 19cents a gallon ? (news travels slow in them mtns)

8. those guys are the minority....i have sold 500 pics in a few months, parents email me, call me and walk up to me at games and thanmk me for making the memories affordable. I took watermarks off my galleries, if someone is that desperate to steal from me I don't care, the lack of watermarks keeps parents coming back to look more and they eventually buy then

btw your prices are fine

9. :biggrin: :biggrin:

10. GBRandy

GBRandy

Feb 28, 2006
    Green Bay, WI
    Perfect Don.....might want to include the $10,000 worth if cooking utensils that they should bring along as well.

I would post that back out there Randy. What a couple winners you got on that forum. geez..

11. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

Hey Randy, what gun are you holding to their head to make them purchase your Gigital images? They do get to look for free...

I'll bet this same person has already tried to figure out a way to snatch your pictures without paying...and couldn't.

12. Scotty_R

Scotty_R

Jan 1, 2006
    Virginia
    I had no idea you were a "new found" digital photographer, Randy--what did you find?

This is a problem for all photographers--I have a good friend in New York who has worked as a portrait photographer for over 30 years. His bread and butter is made working with children under the age of 6, specializing in private schools, day cares, academies, etc. in addition to the work he does for private corporations, musicians and non-profit organizations. He tells me frequently that the parents always complain about the price of his school packages--2 5x7s, an 8x10, 8 wallets and a class picture, all for $37, and that they constantly harass him for the negatives (digital). He always tells the parents NO to the digital negatives and has continued throughout the years to make a very, very decent living.

For me, the long and the short of it is this: if they could take a photograph just 1/10 as well as you take it, getting the lighting right, the action stopped, framed and composed correctly etc., then they'd take the darned photograph themselves. But they can't. And that's why they will continue to buy your images.

You do a fine job--stick to your guns.

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I just love the

........................................GIGITAL.........................................

14. niknd501

niknd501

May 13, 2006
    Illinois
    Shouldn't this thread be combined with your "thieves" post ??? ha ha ha

Your prices are fine...The service you provide is great....I always have people come up to me and tell me how cool my photos are and they could never get those shots...I have even had a mom come up and give me a hug for the photos I took of her son.
    The people that make comments like this don't have a clue what we have invested. They would find something to complain about even if you GAVE them the "gigital" image.

You keep doing what you do and the majority of folks will keep buying those pics -- and loving them at $4 per pic.

15. Sounds familiar. I just started a new job, and there is a ball field about a mile from the office, so the idea of taking some pictures had already entered my head. One of the moms was in my office, saw some pictures, and then the subject came up of me photographing the team. She kept telling me how good my pictures were…you know the drill, and how she would introduce me to all the parents, and how I would probably do really well these because the other photographer they bought pictures from “makes money hand over fist”. Then she says that $5 for a 5x7 that she has been paying amounts to highway robbery. I tried to explain the gear I would bring and the processing that I do, but I still got…

“I can take pictures with my camera and print them for $.19 all day long”.

She is a really sweet girl, but the vast majority of people just don’t understand what is involved. Sorry if I have already posted this, but Randy I just wanted you to know that I feel your pain and I am not even in the biz yet!

16. thx Scotty

17. dpreview taught me to be nice on forums (that was kida funny) especially if my customers read my comments so I'll stay w/ my 'thx for the advice' reply

18. :biggrin: :biggrin:

19. people like her and the guys that posted to my thread are very rare....down here private soccer costs $1500 per yr min for each kid and the parents are very happy to get some memories for a few xtra bucks...my experinece doing this has been wonderful, I have made so many friends and get asked to come to games to take pics...Parents come up to before the game to tell me their kids jersey number so I can get shots of them....this may never make me rich but it's pefrect for me with my love/addiction to photography

20. Gr8Tr1x

Gr8Tr1x Guest

That pretty much sums it up, doesn't it?