Maybe I'll keep the 18-200VR after all . . .

Discussion in 'Lens Lust' started by craig.martell, Jul 7, 2007.

1. I have been going back and forth on whether to keep the 18-200VR. I like the idea, but I just find f/5.6 at the long end to be too slow. I really like tight DoF. However, I have to say, it worked very well here. C&C encouraged:

738362734_8b06390c8d_b.

More @ http://www.flickr.com/photos/craig_martell

Craig

2. It is a nice lens- I had some sellers remorse when I sold mine...

3. This one of the perfect uses for this lens. I really can't stand carrying all my big gear for parades and carnivals......You will also find that it is the perfect lens to use in an amusement park.

GenoP

4. Especially that fun house mirror like barrel distortion at 18mm :tongue: j/k, great lens!

5. LOL!

6. I agree Geno. I actually can leave my bag in the car and just carry the D200 and 18-200VR in these circumstances. But, on the other hand, I could get enough for the 18-200VR to buy the 180 f/2.8. Now that produces some AWESOME shots!

(I know I know. Keep the 18-200VR and get the 180 as well. Ok, you convinced me!)

7. Really, if money is an issue, the big question is 18-200VR or 17-55DX; then add the 70-200VR. Quite frankly, I have got a ton of stuff, but the most fun I have is shooting the D40X/18-200VR because of the size, but then again that's what I shoot for fun and not work.

GenoP

8. I have thought about the 17-55 and 70-200, and they (or their upgrades) are on my list for later. But I am currently very taken by the 180mm.

Craig

9. bozola

bozola

Feb 28, 2006
    Seattle WA
    I like mine!

I like mine a lot! It's a nice versatile lens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Well Craig,

I've got a Nikon collection that would make almost anyones jaw drop, however there are times when the light thing, is just the right thing.

This was taken tonight for a local paper, and the last thing I wanted to do is carry a large kit around a carnival all night, but I did have to go back to my car for my tripod for the fireworks (Gitzo 1258/RRS BH-40).

GenoP

Nikon D40x ,Nikkor 18-200mm F/3.5-5.6g IF-ED AF-S DX VR
    4s f/11.0 at 24.0mm iso200
    original.

11. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Hey Geno, that's a really nice fireworks shot! Thanks!

12. Thanks very much Chris......

The trick is to get a little location in the shot.

GenoP