Maybe some "Snowto's" tomorrow

That's photos of snow. So, any tips for a D200 novice with snow on his mind? (That is if it hits the ground as called for) I'd like to catch a few nice scenery shots at least. A bit concerned about the bright white. no polorizer or other filter at this point. A 60mm and 18-70mm lens to use.

actually, 2 days ago, we had one of those beautifully sticky snows in the trees, and I could do nothing but head out the door to work. I was bummed. I felt the outdoors calling me to shoot. I must be turning into one of "them" fotogophers again, at least in my heart. ;)

Doug

One of the standard rules with a pic full of snow is up your EV, probably between .5 - 1.0 (maybe more). Pay attention to your histogram as the snow is really gonna fool with your lightmeter. If it's just some white fluffy stuff on top of branchs and there's a fair amount of regular (non-snow) stuff in the pic, you should be OK.

ok, you guys can take a look, but I'll admit, I'm still like a child with the controls on this D200. I shot these in auto mode: I shot these with my 60mm micro lens. These were all hand held, I know, I shoul have got a pod out.

snow1_feb_12_06.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

snow2_feb_12_06.jpg

snow3_feb_12_06.jpg

snow4_feb_12_06.jpg

Doug

Seeing all of these images of snow makes me want to start sniffing an open bottle of suntan lotion!!!!! Oh, did I mention that I hate snow? But it is pretty to photograph.

OK, here goes....
#1 is a bit too dark, all the light reflecting off the snow has fooled your light meter, this is where upping the EV comes into play.... do a levels correction in PS with this and it'll come out great
#2 Lookin' good.... did you use Highlights/Shadows recovery on this in PS? If so, I think the Shadows recovery is a touch too much as it doesn't look quite natural. If you didn't, and if this is what Mother Nature gave you, looks great.
#3 YUP, you've got it now! That's perfect exposure for a snow pic, no blown highlights from what I can see (on the laptop)
#4 Too dark, up the levels in PS and the pic will pop some more

Shooting snow pics isn't easy at all. You've done very well being a newbie at it. Frits might be able to give you some more pointers, he gets more snow than Toronto does!! LOL and he shoots terrific snow shots.

Thanks Sandi!

For me at least somewhat, it's about getting the hang of pressing the shutter again. About framing things, learning to imagine shots. So, I'm happier with these few shots from that perspective than I have some of my efforts to date.

To answer your questions, the sky was playing light tricks, getting light for a bit, then darkening. One side of the sky was lighter than the other. Fact is, another snow blitz was moving toward us in the last image. I got caught out in it taking the dog out later, and man it was coming down again.

I did no photoshopping other than resizing and cutting image file size some that hopefully is not noticed at display level anyway.

But that does bring up a question, do you all show your work here at max resolution for jpg?

Frank, the thing about Tennessee is, by Wednesday, we could be in shorts on the golf course, lol. (actually, that may be pushing it a bit. But I have played golf in shorts in January before when we've had unseasonably warm weather that lasted a week. It can happen. Short sleeve weather, not that rare at times.

Doug

Doug, you did a great job considering all the 'elements' that were being thrown at you by Mother Nature. Now you know how a lot of us live mostly all winter (this year has been a BIG exception as far as the white stuff). THis is my first winter with my DLSR equipment, I even got a 12-24 especially for snow landscapes but NO SNOW!!

If you display large pics, the forum software will shrink it down to 900 pixel maximum anyway and the viewer can then click on the pic which will open up in the full size. Most of us post our pics in reduced size (800 pixel max) unless requested by a member to see a larger version.

Now we'll want to see a pic of you in those shorts!!! :wink:

I believe that was sexual harassment from Sandi, wanting to see my legs. I can always hope anyway. LOL.

So, that's how you keep it from snowing, buy a special lens just for snow! I knew there was a trick to that somehow...

Doug

Latest threads

Top Bottom