1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

MB-D10 on alkalines

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by GeneC, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Can someone tell me the approximate battery life using alkalines in the MB-D10 as compared to the EN-EL3e batteries. How many shots do you get?
    I was wondering which is the best way to go, rechargable NiMh or just plain alkalines. I would be using costco alkalines which I have found to be as good as any and super cheap. I could try the alkalines but was thinking someone should know:smile:.

Gene

2. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

the alkalines are gonna give you more shots compared to rechargables.but then their threw.cost is the comarrison to be made .if the coscos are super cheap well they would have to be very inexpensive to compete with a rechargable battery .

3. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    If you do not use your D300 much, then disposable alkalines are the right choice. For example, 250 shots or less per week. Battery life is shortened considerably with temperature extremes. Expect to replace a set more often in the hot summer and cold winter months.

When choosing batteries you must consider the long term and the short term for your camera and MB-D10. Suppose you plan to sell your camera next year and you only use it infrequently now. It becomes a waste of money to buy rechargeable batteries and a charger because disposables are so inexpensive.

As a first step you should buy a package of alkalines and see how long it lasts. Then you can pursue the matter from a benefit-cost analysis. Don't rush into buying an expensive charger and battery sets because everyone seems to be doing it. Their usage is not your usage.

4. I buy Duracells at the drug store sales....usually 16 for $10 or less. So far my guess is I've gotten over 2000 shots per set....shooting mosty sports/jpegs.

5. I'll just have to give them a try. Harry FYI, costco sells 48 batteries for about $9.00. I've found them to be as good as anybody's, I have been using them for years. Thanks to all that replied, I was under the impression that alkalines wouldn't last, I learned otherwise.

6. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  7. FusionZ06

FusionZ06

Jul 25, 2008
    Florida
  8. Sanyo Eneloop NiMH are an Excellent choice.

Agree.

The 'questionable' plating on the contacts of Alkaline cells are their bane - this can cause high contact resistance and less-than-optimal performance even if the cell is 'good' - especially when you're using eight cells in less-than-optimal conditions. These are throwaways, after all.

Rechargeables: I've had excellent results with the 2700 MaH Sanyo NiMH cells (Sanyo invented the NiMH technology.)

However, I'm finding that Sanyo's Eneloops are even better (even though they're 'only' 2000-2100 MaH), since they are superior at retaining their charge when stored, and they seem a bit more robust when being recharged to full capacity. They're very consistent and don't seem to need refreshing - i.e., the discharge/charge cycling , as often as the 2700s.

You can place the Eneloops in your grip or flash, and even after a few months storage they're still near peak capacity and ready to go! (Topping them off if you have the time is always a good idea, of course.)

If you go the NiMH route, a quality charger that can 'Refresh' cells (discharge/charge through a few cycles) is a must. I've had good results with both the LaCrosse BC-900 and the Maha Powerex MH-C9000. These chargers will allow you to refresh a large quantity of battery cells, and then select them based on final capacity to assemble closely matched sets for peak performance.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2008
  9. Good information John! Next question where do you buy them? In a brief search I didn't come up with very much. Maybe too brief :) .

Gene

10. Thomas Distributing in Illinois specializes in batteries & chargers, and has been my source of choice, Gene. (My only experience with them is as a satisfied customer.) Recommended.

http://thomasdistributing.com/

Added:

http://www.thomas-distributing.com/low-discharge-batteries.php
    and
    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/maha-mh-c9000-battery-charger.php
    and
    http://www.thomas-distributing.com/la_crosse_bc-900_battery_charger.php
    also see:
    https://www.nikoncafe.com/vforums/showthread.php?t=178913

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.