MB-D10 or 3rd party battery grip?

I prefer shooting the d700 in its small outline native form. But I'm condsidering buying a battery grip for 2 reasons:
  • Dressing for interviews, so my d700 doesn't look like Uncle Bob's dslr.
  • Loaded up with low discharge AA batteries for backup power
The Nikon grip is $260 from Amazon.com and around $200 on the used market. That's pretty pricey for the limited use I'll be giving it. And there seem to be some complaints about the switches on the MB-D10.

There are quite a few 3rd party offerings at under $100, which meets my price point for an impulse buy. Can you recommend a good one, or should I break open the Piggy Bank again and buy the Nikon?

Frank -

No experience with 3rd party on this but check out this cool article with Nikon. They interviewed the developers who worked on the design and functionality of the mb-d10. Pretty interesting.

Behind the Scenes - Nikon*MB-D10

Some advantages to the Nikon. Magnesium alloy, just like the d700. Circuitry. Ergonomics. Screwed on it literally does not move one bit. It's locked on tight. Hate to see you spend $100 and end up with this.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Frank please take my advice and re-consider the Nikon grip. Yes, some folks have had problems, but so to with the third party ones. You may use this item more than you expected - I now use mine all the time as the cam fits my hands better with it on. The feel of the switches and build quality are as per the D700.

i must be the only person who dosent like grips

i prefer less weight and bulk. i just bought an extra battery and ive never run out of power yet

i must be the only person who dosent like grips

i prefer less weight and bulk. i just bought an extra battery and ive never run out of power yet
I also prefer less weight but love the overall feel in my hand. Thats the only setback of the grip.

Regarding Melike brand, I owned the one for the d200 and overall I'd rate it pretty good except its plasticy. I am not sure if their mb-d10 version is plastic as well or magnium alloy so can't comment on that. But if I were to compare the pastic of mb-d200 to the magnium of mb-d10, than the magnium is defintely much better.

I prefer shooting the d700 in its small outline native form. But I'm condsidering buying a battery grip for 2 reasons:
  • Dressing for interviews, so my d700 doesn't look like Uncle Bob's dslr.
  • Loaded up with low discharge AA batteries for backup power
The Nikon grip is $260 from Amazon.com and around $200 on the used market. That's pretty pricey for the limited use I'll be giving it. And there seem to be some complaints about the switches on the MB-D10.

There are quite a few 3rd party offerings at under $100, which meets my price point for an impulse buy. Can you recommend a good one, or should I break open the Piggy Bank again and buy the Nikon?

I ordered a used Flashpoint grip from adorama for $60 bucks, I have an off-brand grip for my D200 and it's been fine. And I figure if I don't like the $60 grip for the D700 it probably won't be too hard to sell for about what I paid for it (it should be here Monday).

I believe that's Adorma's private label version of the Meike grip. I'll be interested in your impressions.

Hey, isn't your d700 due to arrive today?

Yep, I can't wait! I keep refreshing the tracking page even though I also have email and text notification setup for it :biggrin::biggrin:

The grip was ordered the same day but was on backorder (weird that a used one was on backorder, but I'm not in a rush for that piece). This is the one that I got: http://www.adorama.com/INKMBD10A.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Rockingham, NC (Currently in Afghanistan)
I have the Nikon MB-D10 grip for my D300, and couldn't be happier. Sure, the shutter release has a different feel, but it's not a problem IMHO. Just a bit more sensitive, and requires less pressure. But as mentioned above, the Nikon version is built to the same exacting standards as the D700 itself. When it's screwed on, it doesn't feel like an attachment. It feels like a part of the camera. Solid as a rock.

I have Nikon Mb10 grips on both my D300 and D700. They are very well built and reliable. I think the build quality is far better than what Nikon built for the D200 (but no problems with that one either).

I am trying to find the one I liked on ebay...forgot to "watch it".....it holds 2 EnEl-3 batterys.....they do not load as the MB D10 does and there is a switch for which one to use 1st.........went off to search ebay and found it....holds 2 battterys and has a built in infra red remote.......

Good find, that looks like a pretty good deal for the money. Only downside would be that it wouldn't provide for the AA's or El4 battery to boost the fps rate any, right?

Hi Frank,
I never wanted to carry a grip with me until I bought one about two months ago. But now I think I can`t live without it when taking vertikal shots with manuel lenses (and I know you are using these too:)). I can really recommend the MB-D10. It is built like a rock, and also very nice to touch and handle. Good luck for your decision!

I've been vacillating between an inexpensive 3rd party grip and the Nikon. Had pretty much decided on the Nikon... until I did a little trial. I took my d200 out for a shoot at the lake. I reserve my en-el3e batteries for the d700, and power the d200 battery with AAs in the mb-d200 battery grip. Bottom line, I hated shooting with the grip.

Since the role of the mb-d10 will just be for backup power, I'll save a few hundred bucks and go with one of the 3rd party grips and leave it loaded with low discharge AAs. I'll wait on John's report before I decide which manufacturer.

I took my d200 out for a shoot at the lake. I reserve my en-el3e batteries for the d700, and power the d200 battery with AAs in the mb-d200 battery grip. Bottom line, I hated shooting with the grip.
Fair enough. Was it just using a grip in general or the feel of the mb-d200 itself that didn't seem right. This is something one of the Nikon designers had to say about the considerations they made into manufacturing the MB-D10 grip for D300/D700. I've never held the D200 with an MB-D200 grip so I don't have anything to compare it to. The one thing I hate most about shooting with the grip in general is the weight. Other than that I prefer the feel of using the grip.

"The main objective was to make the best use of the design characteristics of the D300, since the battery pack is auxiliary to the camera. The camera features lots of intricate curves and great care was devoted to making it easy to carry. Thus, our design concern was that, with the battery pack attached, it should be comfortable to handle and grip the camera, irrespective of whether it is being held horizontally or vertically. We believe that it has a much more vibrant and ergonomically polished design than the MB-D200.

There were also design demands from various quarters during actual production. Since this device was to be used as an attachment to the D300, it would have been tempting to think only of producing clean lines that matched the camera itself. However, we were also aiming to make use of the standard battery holder used on the F6 camera, in order to allow an EN-EL4a to be used, and I had a hard time getting the shape of the battery pack to conform."

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom