MB-D11 battery choice?

What are your opinions on battery choice for the MB-D11? Rechargeables are MUCH cheaper, is there a reason to have the more expensive Nikon battery?

Nikon claims the MB-D11 is good for 4500 shots with the EN-EL15, 1700 shots with AA's. They also claim that AA's in general lose capacity below 68 degrees F, though obviously it varies with the battery.

This info from the D7000 manual.

Up to you. Frankly, the EN-EL15 holds so much charge that you can use it in the grip and likely not need to put in a second battery. You can carry the AA's as a backup -- I always carry extra for my flashes anyway. Even if they don't take as many shots, it should be more than enough. Though that arrangement does force you to carry both battery clips, since there's one for the EN-EL15 and one for the AA's.

"Nikon claims the MB-D11 is good for 4500 shots with the EN-EL15, 1700 shots with AA's"

What page did you find that on Bill? I looked but can't find it. I don't use a battery in the camera either. I don't know about 1,700 shots using AA's but I have got 400+.
GH

I use Eneloops in the grip, like the extra weight/balance with Pro glass. The one in the
camera stays at 100% if and when the grip ones peter out. Hasn't happened during my
rodeo coverage but I seldom exceed 800 shots per event/per body. YMMV :biggrin:

"Nikon claims the MB-D11 is good for 4500 shots with the EN-EL15, 1700 shots with AA's"

What page did you find that on Bill? I looked but can't find it. I don't use a battery in the camera either. I don't know about 1,700 shots using AA's but I have got 400+.
GH

I found it..... it's waaaay in the back of the manual.

I bought the my second EL-15 when I bought my grip. I honestly don't think I can run out of juice before I finish any shoot I'll encounter. I don't shoot any videos though so that could be why.

Sounds like I need to do more reading..... I just assumed you had to have batteries in both the camera AND the grip. So much to learn!

GH

In the PDF version of the manual, page 220 discusses the impact of temperature on AA's. Page 321 discusses battery life. I found it by searching for "AA" and also "MB-D11".

Sounds like I need to do more reading..... I just assumed you had to have batteries in both the camera AND the grip. So much to learn!

With the grip, you can:

1) Leave the EN-EL15 in the camera and the grip empty. But to charge the battery, you have to remove the grip first.

2) Put the EN-EL15 in the grip and leave the camera empty. You still have to remove the battery to charge it, but you do not need to remove the grip.

3) Put AA's in the grip and leave the camera empty.

4) Put the EN-EL15 in the camera and a 2nd EN-EL15 in the grip.

5) Put the EN-EL15 in the camera and AA's in the grip.

Like Will, I also use rechargeables (Imedion 2400's) in the grip. Please note that the estimates for number of shots will vary depending on whether you're using the pop-up, how much you use the LCD, in-body focus motor use, power to the AF-S motor, power to VR, etc.

Please also note that there are third-party battery grips. While they aren't made from mostly magnesium alloy like the D7000 and seem to have some strange issues (command dials rotate in reverse order), they are significantly cheaper.

"In the PDF version of the manual, page 220 discusses the impact of temperature on AA's. Page 321 discusses battery life"

I found it. Thanks. I doubt we could get near those numbers in real life conditions. I wonder what AAs they used? GH

I use rechargables in the grip and leave the EN-EL15 in the body.

The EN-EL15 has not failed me and I have gone over 1200 shots on one charge before... so I think its pretty amazing.

It is best for battery life not to run them down to far. I use a new one after 30% charge used.

The best way to preserve battery life is not to use them at all! Same as a shutter. I went to school with a guy (40 years ago) who wouldn't use his head lights so they would last longer. Same with his wipers. Use the battery! If it wears out buy another one. That's what they are made for. GH

OK, a question for those of you who use rechargeable AA's in the grip - do you buy multiple sets of batteries/chargers or 1 charger and multiple batteries and charge them in separate groups? OR, has anyone found a charger that will charge 6 at a time??

OK, a question for those of you who use rechargeable AA's in the grip - do you buy multiple sets of batteries/chargers or 1 charger and multiple batteries and charge them in separate groups? OR, has anyone found a charger that will charge 6 at a time??

Thomas Distributing is the place to go! http://www.thomasdistributing.com/?gclid=CP_LmN__zKkCFUHu7QodPFnUNQ They know cameras. They reccomended a 4 cell Maha charger and Emedion 2500ma/h low discharge batteries. Don't cheap out on the charger. I got 20 batteries and the charger for around $90. They sell an 8 cell charger but I see no need for my use. I don't use a battery in the body. The original one in the grip will give you 1000++ shots and each group in the AA carrier will give you 500++. I can't imagine a situation that would require more than 2,500 shots! I don't carry either charger in my bag! GH

The best way to preserve battery life is not to use them at all! Same as a shutter. I went to school with a guy (40 years ago) who wouldn't use his head lights so they would last longer. Same with his wipers. Use the battery! If it wears out buy another one. That's what they are made for. GH
Even if you don't use the battery, it still depletes.

No headlights? No wipers? He's either stupid or asking to get into a car accident. Might as well not drive and ride a bike.

I agree..use the things. Its meant to be used, not saved. Might as well not use the camera because your shutter count will just go up. Might as well just leave it in the box so that it stays 0 forever.

I use an 8-cell MAHA charger and it's great. I have three flashes, so it'll charge batteries for two flashes at the same time. Plus I have FlexTT5's and grip batteries. So for me it saves a lot of time. I've even thought about buying a second one!

You can also buy the 8-cell MAHA chargers at Newegg.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom