MB-D200 - I got mine! (not that anyone really cares)

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by petert053, Jan 4, 2006.

1. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Well, time for me to find out for myself what I think of NiMH over EL3e's. I got delivery of my MB-D200 today (yeah!! :biggrin: :biggrin:), have charged up a fresh set of batteries and now it's time to start shotgun shootin'!

Actually, I like the weight now... reminds me of the film SLR days with those big bulky bodies and the heavy glass... all I need is that wonderful, fumie film smell :Swirl: and I'd be all kinds of happy... There's a marketing idea: scratch-n'-snips for DSLR users!

...now to scrape together another $700-bucks for that new VR and they'll have to peel me from the ceiling!

2. d70art

d70art Guest

Well, I got mine too. Just waiting to see which retailer that I've pre-ordered from will sell me the D200 to go with it.

Enjoy the smell of digital. Ahhh.

3. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    hey does using 2 batteries instead of one you get more shots?...or does the body drain one battery at a time then goes to the next one?

4. papa85

papa85 Guest

one then the other. Guess you will get more shots but you are using two batteries.:biggrin:

5. Mine arrived today as well, it is not sitting next to me, a shot every 10 seconds, uncompressed NEF with the internal flash. Figure I'll give it a workout. I only have 1GB cards so I am doing about 60 at a time. So far I'm a bit over 200 shots and the battery meter has not moved. I am using Radio Shack 15 minute 2000mAh rechargeables that were charged yesterday.

Be sure to set you battery type correctly.

Oh, yeah, I had a replacement coming for one of my EN-EL3's for the recall. I heard about all the folks getting EN-EL3e's as replacements, Nikon told me 50-50 between getting an e or an a. Guess what, I got the WRONG 50 :mad: . Still wating for extra EN-EL3e's to show up, local store is supposed to have 100 on Monday.

I'll update with numbers when my batteries are dead.......maybe around midnight :smile:

6. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    bill, how is your d200 treating you?...do you have the banding issues? or focusing?..seems to me that only the center cross point is the most accurate focusing point...everything else is a bit off?

thanks

7. Haven't seen this "banding" problem yet and the only focusing problem I have is me, not the camera. Actually, I do think that the CAM1000 is not quite as good as the CAM2000 in low light with low contrast, but it isn't all that bad. For example, I got a 2x TC, Sigma, for my 120-300 yesterday from another Cafe member. Put it on and had zero issues focusing at night, incandescent light, in my office here at home with the 120-300. A little hunting now and then, but heck, this was with a 2x TC. I have played a little with the Wide area focus as well as the normal and I'm not finding issues. I don't expect the others to be as snappy as the cross in the center, but then I normally use the center anyway and recompose as needed.

8. mrdinh

mrdinh

Mar 8, 2005
    North Dakota
    bill, EN-EL3's are on recall?...i got some order for my self...i assume those in the stores are good now?...why are they recalled?

9. Look at the Nikon USA page, EN-EL3's, the original ones, have a bunch of batches on recall. These are the ones that shipped first with the D70 and do not work in the D200. They are replaced by the EN-EL3a's and the EN-EL3e's, the "e's" are the ones that work in the D200.

10. AA's back on the charger....

Well, just found out one thing I DON'T like about the AA rechargeables. My battery meter was at 100%, and then suddenly the camera just flat stopped, meter at 0, blinking away.

Total shots: 350, uncompressed NEF all with the internal flash. I'll now do the same with a fresh charge on the batteries. If the same occurs with the battery meter I will be rethinking my AA solution. I'll also try this with standard AA's to see if the same occurs.

11. the rechargeables are supposed to blink when low on battery, but I had the same thing happen today- one moment going strong, the next Kaput!
    But that was with over 600 shots and several long exposures plus use in my sb600 on the same charge.

12. fotoguy

fotoguy Guest

Did you adjust in Custom Settings (d8) to indicate you have the NiMh batteries so the camera calibrates its meter properly?

13. Sure did. When I first put them in I hadn't, and the battery meter showed a bit low, then I set it and the meter popped right up to "full". The batteries had been sitting for at least a day, but I wouldn't expect them to lose that much. Now that I have them fully charged I'll see what happens, but I really don't like this "full to empty" on the battery meter at all.

14. mine is also set to NiMH in all shooting banks. The instructions clearly say it will warn us...but I suppose battery meters may be the initial flaw of this camera.

15. OK, ran on a full charge, uncompressed NEF, 1 shot every 10 seconds, with the internal flash. A bit of LCD use during as well, should be a case of pushing the battery.

This time I did see the battery go from 100% to 50% for about 20-30 shots, then BANG, right down to zero.

Total shots, 646 with 2000mAh rechargeables.

16. well the symbol for 50% with NiMH AA's is stated as meaning low battery- prepare to replace.

17. What, you READ THE MANUL!!!!!!! :wink: what an outrageous thing to do. And, obviously, Nikon really means it too.

Now I have to put a couple of batteries in to see if I can see the indicatior in the viewfinder, at least that I can live with.

18. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Whoa! That sucks!! I'll see if that happens to me... My original plans to do some rapid-fire shooting got nixed tonight... honey-do's... remember gentlemen, a happy wife is a happy life! :rolleyes: :biggrin: :wink:

19. petert053

petert053

Nov 19, 2005
    Austin, TX
    One more AA question

...I got a set of Energizer 2500mA NiMH AA's. I looked at the set of other rechargables that I had in my SB800 and they were only 800mA (I'm surprised that the flash fires... those will be replaced!). Anyway, I got 15-minute fast charger + 4 AA & 2 AAA for $39, and a second 4-pack for $10 from Target. I don't know if it was the best deal in town, but it did fit the immediate needs. Another nice part is that it comes with a car charger (an added plus :smile:), but it's only 4-at-time charging :frown:... but, 15 minutes seemed pretty good to me...

Anyway, chime in on what types/deals you have for your rechargables... let's see if there's a pattern to this "quick death" power roll off...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 5, 2006
  20. I'm not sure about nationwide, but the Costco's here have a package with 6 Sanyo 2500 mah HR-3U's, 2 AAAs, and charger for $22. If you need more AA's, Fry's has 4 for $10 (the same HR-3U's). Supposedly they're pretty good batteries - they're what I use in my flashes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2006