MB-D200 Tuning - finally a tight fit!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by misupix, Apr 27, 2007.

1. I (and many more) aren't really happy with the fit of the MB-D200.
    It always maintained a little wobble and never lived up to the quality of the D200 Body.

So a good friend (Thanks Mr. Lehmann) and me started to think....

After years of research and millions of dollars spent :Crunk:, we found a solution:

Here it is, the "Do-It-Yourself"-Solution

All you need is a Plastic-plate with these measures: 13mm x 55mm and approx. 0,3mm thick
    original.

It's used to improve the fit between the D200-Battery-Compartment and the MB-D200-Insertion. Which is the real source of the wobble!

You can put it into the D200 Battery-Compartment and then carefully insert the MB-D200.
    View attachment 92628

The size of the Plate is determined by the measures of this side of the MB-D 200 Battery Insert.
    View attachment 92629

To make handling easier, I have fixed the plate to the MB-D200 with some thin tape.
    View attachment 92630

By adding more or less layers of thin tape you can finetune the fitting even better. Until the MB-D200 can barely be inserted without resistance.

I already use this modification for month and am happy with it. So I though I should share this....:smile:

If there are any questions, don't hesitate to ask!

2. Neat. Looks like a cheap yet effective solution.

3. jaleel

jaleel

Apr 3, 2007
    Toronto, Canada
    neat!
    where's the best place to find said plastic piece?
    also what did you use to cut it? won't the plastic crack if you use scissors?

4. There is a battery grip from Hähnel available now, the HN-D200. Including vertical shutter release, command dial and AE-L/AF-L- knob. It holds 2 EN-EL3e accu packs or 6 AA batteries. It is cheaper then the MB-D200 (in Germany approx. 120 to 165 Euros). Has anybody seen and (more important) used it yet?
    Andreas

5. I just tried your idea and it works great. I cut up a plastic laminated business card. Thanks for the post.

6. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

7. StefanosL.

StefanosL.

Sep 5, 2006
    Greece
    Excellent idea! I'll try it right away...

Maybe we can stick the plastic insert with a double side tape instead of plain tape. It will look better and cleaner...

:)

8. yrrek

yrrek Guest

looks like a good idea. great job!

9. StefanosL.

StefanosL.

Sep 5, 2006
    Greece
    I did it!
    It fit's nice and i'll test it at the "field" on Sunday night . Got a wedding to do, so we''ll see!

I will report back....

Thanks Michael.

10. Very nice, Michael. The calipers in the BG in your final image add an air of precision and no doubt accounts for some of the millions spent on research. :wink:

I cemented a thin strip of webbing to the inside face of the L bracket I use with the MB-D200 so that it firmly contacts the rubber on the camera housing near the flash sync terminal. This seems to eliminate any movement of the L bracket relative to the body, but your solution is more elegant.

11. StefanosL.

StefanosL.

Sep 5, 2006
    Greece
    After using the camera & grip for a while with this tweak, i have to say it worked wonders...

Thanks once again....

12. Where are the Nikon engineers to see such ingenuity!!! :mad:

:Smart:Leave it to the Nikon Café brainiacs to work out these simple yet effective solutions...I love this site!

13. hangman

hangman

Aug 13, 2006
    Lone Star State
    I have not noticed that the grip on my camera has a loose fit. Maybe I will now :(

14. chalkieman

chalkieman Guest

Tight fit.

Well done that man, can you now design a gadget to stop the 'wobble' between the D200 body and SB800/SB600 flash unit.It does seem to be a common fault with this system whereby the flash fires with the slightest movement of the camera.