1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

MBD10 Battery Indicator Empty.

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR Forum' started by RobBrooks, Jul 4, 2008.

1. RobBrooks

RobBrooks

Nov 28, 2007
    London
    I got 8 AAs in the chamber and I've tested the output from these at 12v but the battery indicator in the menus reads empty.

Also with the standard battery removed the camera does not function with the battery pack attached.

All the auxiliary controls work fine but I'm wondering it there's something wrong with the unit in that it's not supplying power to the camera.

I remember this being intermittant when I first loaded the AAs, I would get a full battery reading for the MBD10 but after a while it would read empty again.

If I removed the MBD10 from the body and reconnected it again, the meter would read full again for a while.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of behaviour with AAs?

2. scooptdoo

scooptdoo Guest

yes once i had the same occuance as you with AA alkalines.i just took all batts out and reattched the mb-d10 to my 300 and she was good to go.i generally run rechargeable AAS annd have never had the above problem again.like all electronics epecialy computers the good old reboot turn her off recheck all conections and your good to go 99.99% of the time.the other .001% is when you put the batterys in backwarnds.

3. Commodorefirst

Commodorefirst Admin/Moderator Administrator

May 1, 2005
    Missouri
    Yes, generally that means that one of your AA batteries is not up to snuff which means that you will have problems as you described. Even a tiny voltage drop in any AA cell will cause problems.

I have also had this with AA lithiums too. I would suggest just using good Nimhs of 2200mah or higher for best results in the grip. I ahve never had a problem with the nimhs yet.

cheers,

Wade

4. NPA2008

NPA2008

Apr 15, 2008
    USA
    It sounds like you have dirty or oxidized contacts on the MB-D10. They might not look like anything is wrong with them, but the intermittent connection indicates that the connection is weak. I had a similar problem with my D300/MB-D10 many months ago. Using DeoxIT on the MB-D10 contacts resolved the trouble.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.