MBP (MacBook Pro) newbie needs help!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by ubetcha, Mar 28, 2007.

1. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    I’m a new Mac user (MacBook pro), this is the beginning of day 2. I’m having trouble getting connected to my home wireless network. First let me say I’m not a computer geek so I probably just have something set wrong. Any help would be appreciated, also I been a PC user since my KayPro ran out of folppy disk space (64k I think).

1) I received my new MBP yesterday afternoon and set it up at my office and I was immediately able to connect to the wireless router and get on the internet. I have a D-Link wireless router (encrypted)
    2) I brought it home last night and was NOT able to connect here at home (linksys wireless router), but it can see that the network is there. AND I have a PC desk top and two PC laptops at home that are able to connect to this router just fine, using my home password (128bit wep).
    3) At home my new MBP is able to connect to the neighbor's Linksys (non-encrypted) system but the signal is very poor and it drops out frequently.
    4) Here’s what I’ve tried. Suspecting that it must be my router I re-installed the router and made a new “phrasekey” 128 WEP. All three of my current Windows XP computers here at home have no trouble getting connected. When I try to connectto this router the MBP dialogue box says “There was an error joining the XXXXX network”
    5) Any suggestions?

2. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    In the interest of troubleshooting, does it work if you don't require WEP from the router? Also, WPA is much better for security than WEP, may want to consider using it.

David

3. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    David, I haven't yet tried to set the router to non-encrypted but that's a good idea. I'll try it next. But, do you have any idea why all of my PCs would be able to connect via the same password but not the MBP. Thanks for your suggestion, Mike

Edit: Just set up the router without encryotion and the MBP finds it and connects just fine. Now I'll try WPA. Can you tell me if WPA2 is better?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 28, 2007
  4. ubetcha

ubetcha

Nov 12, 2006
    San Diego, Ca
    Thanks David, I reset the router once again using WPA and it's working fine now. Thanks again,

5. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Your welcome. I do recall some wireless access points that required a $ at the end or beginning of the password on a Mac. Not sure why. But you'll be much better off using WPA anyway.

David

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.