MBP - Should I wait?

Discussion in 'Apple/Mac' started by j_inalaska, Aug 7, 2007.

1. I am really needing a new computer. I have a PC and am now moving over.

Should I wait for the new Leopard (Oct release?) Will it be worth the wait? Does anyone know if it will be a big increase in price? Will be getting the 17" screen, and am not sure of any upgrades they will offer, or that I will need.

What would ya do?

Jen

2. were it me, I would buy what I need now (and the 17"MBP is an awesome choice) and upgrade/update as I went along. If Safari comes out in October, you will certainly be able to buy it and upgrade your 17"
    Good luck

3. Leopard?
    :smile:

4. oopsy ,yup, leopard

5. I'd wait or get it within thirty days of the OS release, this way you can get a free upgrade. Can't tell you about MBP but I can tell you that OS 10.4.10 is way more stable on my G4 than on my Mac Pro! I've even got an external drive that dumps running on OS 10.4.10 but works fine under Win XP Pro 32 on the same machine, works fine on the G4 too... go figure.

6. If you need a new machine now, buy the new machine now. The 17" MBP is indeed a great way to go! Apple has just today released new iMacs (20", 24") if a desktop is still under consideration in your plans, too..... The 17" MBP is pretty much equivalent to a desktop in a lot of ways, with the added advantage of being highly portable.

Right now we're all still running quite successfully under Tiger, with updates as needed. The new Leopard looks really exciting, with a lot of new features. I have not yet experienced a shift from one OS version to another (bought my iMac back in the fall of 2005, when Tiger was still fairly new) but I have the feeling that it will be a fairly easy transition from one to the other.... Yes, current users of Tiger will have to buy an upgrade to Leopard (I think it's going to be around $130?) and install it in their Macs. I think (and hope!) that this will be somewhat less painful of a process than going from one version of Windows to another.

In the meantime, Apple periodically releases (free) software updates so that the Mac user's machine(s) will be kept current and kept safe (from potential security risks, etc.). If you buy a new MBP tomorrow, you will be just fine.....

7. Jen, I am a windows user for years. last year I decided to get mbp core duo in the beginning of June. After I read many reviews abt. mbp, I decided to wait c2d. when c2d is sold many people wanted to wait leopard and me too :) But now I couldn't wait for October for leopard, I ordered mbp 2.4 ghz. c2d, 17" glossy high-res. 2 gb ram, 160 gb hard disk 5400 rpm, 256 mb gt 8600. When leopard relased i will upgrade.
    Now I am waiting for my first Mac.

8. peterparker

peterparker

Jun 2, 2006
    Houston
    Carpe diem!

9. Hey, thanks guys for the info.

In my case I do have the time to wait. My PC works just fine, and I can do some work getting things organized etc before the new MBP comes out. I am willing to wait if it will be that much better? And anyway, I have to learn my way around, might as well learn with the newest one?

I guess what I am also saying, is if I am putting this much money into it, I want it to be "the one"! And I can be patient.

So would anyone do that?

Jen

10. Well Jen 4 months after I plunked down 3700.00 for my MBP they came out with a newer better one. I still have and enjoy mine very much.

11. Well, just to let you all know .... I did not wait to purchase my MBP! I bought it last week and am so excited to get it .... any time now.

I am glad I just did it. I think I would wait for the next best version and never buy one. Now I get to enjoy it.

Thanks again for the comments!

Jen

12. good on you! way to go

13. Congratulations! I love, love, LOVE :Love: my MBP!

So, tell us more: what are you getting? 15"? 17"? Specs? What I like is the versatility -- the machine can be used as a laptop at home or on the road but also can easily be connected to a monitor and used as a substitute for a desktop when one adds keyboard and mouse. Pretty cool!

Glad to hear you've made the leap! :smile:

14. Julien

Julien

Jul 28, 2006
    Paris, France
    Great for you, and welcome to the good side :biggrin:

15. Congrats. I got mine, I love it. Its 2,4 ghz, 17" glossy hi-res. 160 gb 5400 rpm, 256 mb gt 8600