Me and my Flash!

Discussion in 'Nikon DX DSLR' started by jgrove, Jul 12, 2005.

1. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    OK i`ll hold my hands up high here, me and my flash system have never seen eye to eye!

So some pretty simple questions: (SB-800 and 600)

1. Why is it that no matter what the scene looks like the camera in P mode always chooses 1/60 of a sec? (D2hs)

2. If i use A/P then i assume i have to make sure the subject is within the distnace as marked on the flash?

No matter how much i read the manual i can never get my head around it! But indoors i use the i_TTL mode with a diffuser outside i dial in -1.5 flash comp depending on the shadows.

Any opinions or flash guru`s out there, becuase picking up my flash gun always sends a shiver down my spine! And to make my life a bit more complex i recenlty added a SB-600 to my AB-800 so i can play with the wireless stuff.!

Thanks

2. marc

marc Guest

3. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Thats one response i never thought i would see on this board, oh well sign of the times.

I usually shoot in S/P or A/P my question was aimed at trying to undertsand why in P mode the camera nearly always defaults to 1/60th.

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    1/60 sec means there's not enough ambient light for balanced fill-flash, and the flash is going to be the main light source. At least, that's been my experience in Aperture Priority mode. Can't say I've ever used Program mode so I suppose it could be different.

I believe so.

6. marc

marc Guest

i did not expect to offend you, but shooting in program mode, removes your flexability.
    it also limits the settings the camera and flash can be used in.

shootin ttl, aperture or shutter p. manual is even better.
    it will give you the complete range of settings for flash.
    and it is not that difficult to use.

try putting shutter at 1/30 and aperture at f4, then go from there.
    look at the histogram to adjust for highlites.
    wb should be flash or in difficult conditions try a k number

good shooting

7. jgrove

jgrove

Apr 13, 2005
    Halesowen,UK
    Thanks for those tips, what i couldnt get my head around is why the camera in P mode always wanted to use 1/60th of a second, it very rarely chaged unless there was lots of ambiant light, i suppose this must be the best setting in dark areas to allow enough light into the camera.

Normally i dont fiddel with the faksh much, but i now what to try and understand what it does a bit better, hence the somewhat odd questions.

Cheers