Me and my Flash!

OK i`ll hold my hands up high here, me and my flash system have never seen eye to eye!

So some pretty simple questions: (SB-800 and 600)

1. Why is it that no matter what the scene looks like the camera in P mode always chooses 1/60 of a sec? (D2hs)

2. If i use A/P then i assume i have to make sure the subject is within the distnace as marked on the flash?

No matter how much i read the manual i can never get my head around it! But indoors i use the i_TTL mode with a diffuser outside i dial in -1.5 flash comp depending on the shadows.

Any opinions or flash guru`s out there, becuase picking up my flash gun always sends a shiver down my spine! And to make my life a bit more complex i recenlty added a SB-600 to my AB-800 so i can play with the wireless stuff.!

Thanks

M

marc

jgrove said:
OK i`ll hold my hands up high here, me and my flash system have never seen eye to eye!

So some pretty simple questions: (SB-800 and 600)

1. Why is it that no matter what the scene looks like the camera in P mode always chooses 1/60 of a sec? (D2hs)

2. If i use A/P then i assume i have to make sure the subject is within the distnace as marked on the flash?

No matter how much i read the manual i can never get my head around it! But indoors i use the i_TTL mode with a diffuser outside i dial in -1.5 flash comp depending on the shadows.

1/60 is the default, shutter speed.
in the menus you can change it. remember the speed and aperture affect the
flahes ability to give you a background that is exposed properly.

you should shoot in a, s or m mode in p mode, the camera is telling you what to do.

why do you want the camera to be a p&s, it's a little expensive for that?

outside you probaly want to use bl mode, you should experiment how much ev, you use.
you understand, that -ev is telling the flash to reduce it's power?

Any opinions or flash guru`s out there, becuase picking up my flash gun always sends a shiver down my spine! And to make my life a bit more complex i recenlty added a SB-600 to my AB-800 so i can play with the wireless stuff.!

Thanks

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
marc said:
Thats one response i never thought i would see on this board, oh well sign of the times.

I usually shoot in S/P or A/P my question was aimed at trying to undertsand why in P mode the camera nearly always defaults to 1/60th.

1/60 sec means there's not enough ambient light for balanced fill-flash, and the flash is going to be the main light source. At least, that's been my experience in Aperture Priority mode. Can't say I've ever used Program mode so I suppose it could be different.

I believe so.

M

marc

jgrove said:
marc said:
Thats one response i never thought i would see on this board, oh well sign of the times.

I usually shoot in S/P or A/P my question was aimed at trying to undertsand why in P mode the camera nearly always defaults to 1/60th.
i did not expect to offend you, but shooting in program mode, removes your flexability.
it also limits the settings the camera and flash can be used in.

shootin ttl, aperture or shutter p. manual is even better.
it will give you the complete range of settings for flash.
and it is not that difficult to use.

try putting shutter at 1/30 and aperture at f4, then go from there.
look at the histogram to adjust for highlites.
wb should be flash or in difficult conditions try a k number

good shooting

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
marc said:
jgrove said:
marc said:

i did not expect to offend you, but shooting in program mode, removes your flexability.
it also limits the settings the camera and flash can be used in.

shootin ttl, aperture or shutter p. manual is even better.
it will give you the complete range of settings for flash.
and it is not that difficult to use.

try putting shutter at 1/30 and aperture at f4, then go from there.
look at the histogram to adjust for highlites.
wb should be flash or in difficult conditions try a k number

good shooting
Thanks for those tips, what i couldnt get my head around is why the camera in P mode always wanted to use 1/60th of a second, it very rarely chaged unless there was lots of ambiant light, i suppose this must be the best setting in dark areas to allow enough light into the camera.

Normally i dont fiddel with the faksh much, but i now what to try and understand what it does a bit better, hence the somewhat odd questions.

Cheers

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom